Broken Ankles and Angry Brothers

Author's Note: I miss my old book cover, but I had to change it and update my username. I've been putting it off for too long :(

[Originally published August 24, 2018]

[Edited February 14, 2024]

CLARKE'S POV:

The hospital is having the first slow day it's had in three months; it's nice and peaceful, giving all of us staff a few moments to finally relax. I'm currently in the emergency room fixing up a twelve-year-old girl's knee. She cut it open after falling off her bike and her parents are freaking out.

"Charlotte is going to be fine Mr. and Mrs. Wells. The couple smile and nod as I finish up. Suddenly, I hear the bellowing voice of a male. He's yelling at the staff and holding a black-haired girl in his arms.

"Someone mugged my sister! Help her!" The unknown man screams. I remain calm and pat Charlotte on the shoulder. "Doctor Jackson can finish up," I say before making my way over to the siblings.

Some nurses bring a stretcher over and help the man put her on. He's breathing heavily, like he ran all the way here and every muscle in his face is tense with worry, his eyes flashing with fury and terror. I stay behind briefly and put my hand on his arm.

"Sir, my name is Dr. Griffin," I say soothingly, "Your sister is safe now thanks to you. Can you tell me your name?"

As soon as he locks eyes with me, the rise and fall slowly starts to become steady and after a few minutes, he says, "Bellamy Blake... my sister's name is Octavia."

"How old is she?"

"She's only seventeen," he breathes.

"It's okay Mr. Blake, your sister is going to be fine. I do need your permission to perform a rape kit on her though, just to be safe."

His eyes go as wide as the moon and he clenches his jaw. "Those men... they better pray that you don't find anything," he says to me with absolute rage seeping out of his tone.

Bellamy pauses for a few seconds before leaning down to my height and adding, "-and so should you. I swear to God, if anything happened to my little sister, I will burn this place to the ground with you in it!"

I roll my eyes. I hear these kinds of threats all the time. "Sir, your sister will be fine. Do not threaten me again."

I turn around and walk to where the nurses would be tending to Octavia. She's awake and sitting up in the hospital bed. The girl stares off into space and looks so peaceful. Well, it's time to take her out of her dreamland.

"Ms. Blake?" I say.

The dreamlike state she was in seems to shatter and I catch a look of disappointment and longing. She sighs a tad and then turns her head to where I stand, waiting patiently.

"How bad is it Doc?" Octavia's blunt tone catches me off guard and I stand there like an idiot for a few seconds.

"We won't know until we get a few x-rays. Is that okay with you?"

"Don't really have a choice do I?"

"You don't have to if you-"

"Whatever. Just do it."

I nod at the nurses who take her to where she needs to be. I slowly trail behind them, pushing sudden thoughts of her brother's crazed expression away. When she's finished, I inspect the plastic printouts and am completely unsurprised to see a couple broken bones.

I then go back to the room she's been placed in, smiling as I enter. "Well, despite why you were brought in, you were very lucky. You only have a broken ankle and a few cracked ribs."