Chapter Fyve: Mystery Men

At breakfast the next morning, Lily and Jacklyn had been deep in a conversation about Quidditch when the owls came through. 

Looking up, Lily spotted her father's small snowy white owl, Heddwin. Noticing something in his claws,  Lily squinted to see what it was. Her mouth dropped into a big 'O' as she realized what the red package was.

"Jacky... I think that my father sent me a Howler..." Lily whispered to her friend.

They watched as the owl neared and dropped the parcel right in front of...Albus?

 He jumped in surpise as it fell onto his plate, his eyes widening even more as he saw what it was and who it was from. 

"Albus, run!" Lily whispered harshly at him.

But he was frozen in shock. He had never gotten a howler from his father before. Sure, he had gotten plenty from other peoples parents, but never had his own father sent him one. 

The crisp folds in the seemingly blood red envelope opened up.

"Albus Potter!" It yelled so loud, it seemed the entire hall shook. The whole Great Hall was definitely listening. 

"How DARE you associate yourself with such filth. I am so disappointed in you! If I hear another WORD of you with those boys again, I will make sure you never set another foot into Hogwarts." 

Albus looked like a scared puppy. Harry had never yelled at him before. Not even when Albus turned Lily's hair light green when she was a year old. He hadn't even been scolded! But now...

The howler then turned to Lily, and she bit her lip. 

"And you. How DARE you disobey me. I have no words for how hurt I am. You've really let me down. Expect to see me sometime this month. I want to talk to you BOTH in person." 

The howler then shred itself up in a pile of pieces in front of Lily. 

Her face became redder than her hair as she heard conversation pick up all around the Great Hall. Most of them were "Harry Potter is coming to Hogwarts! THEE Harry Potter!" and "I wonder if he'll sign his book for me!"

"Lily! What the hell was that about?" Albus whispered to Lily.

"Black Lake. 5 minutes." Was all she said.

Lily tried to imagine what her father would do to punish her. Probably prohibit her from riding her broomstick when she went home for Christmas. Or worse yet, not let her come home for Christmas!

And why would Harry take the risk to send a HOWLER? Lily thought as she got up and walked to the Black Lake. 

Harry must have KNOWN the entire hall would be listening...

She got to the Black Lake and sat down on the damp, dew covered grass at the base of a tree, while she waited for her brother. 

Unless he was so angry he didn't care? And Harry was going to come to Hogwarts? What the heck happened to not wanting to cause suspicion? 

Just then, Albus came and sat down next to Lily. 

"Explain. Now." His arms were crossed and he looked upset. Unlike how afraid he had been just a few minutes prior.

"Father wanted me to betray our house. I refused." Lily said.

"And that's it?" Albus asked.

"Yep," Lily lied.

"So what did he mean about me associating with filth?" Albus asked, his eyes narrowed.

Lily shrugged. "No idea."