Chapter Thirteen: Declared a Tie

In lieu of my best friend's sweet sixteen 2 months ago, I wrote this just for her! I've been debating whether or not I'd post it, but then I saw I had gotten over EIGHT HUNDRED VOTES, and so I felt I owed it to all of you (if anyone is still even interested in reading). So, I present, Chapter thirteen!! After over a year and a half. xDD

Dear mum and dad,

As it turns out, my first year at Hogwarts has been a lot harder than I had originally anticipated. I don't believe I'll be able to finish all my homework if I am to visit home, as James and Albus will no doubt be their chaotic selves. I also think I need to spend some time alone. So I guess I am just telling you that I will not be accompanying my brothers on the train home this Christmas. I hope you'll understand.

Lily

Lily sighed as she read the note again to herself. It was the fifth attempt, but it was by far the closest to what she wanted to say without giving the wrong impression. And of course the homework part was a massive lie, but her parents didn't need to know that. She'd already gotten most of it in order.

Lily also felt poorly that Jacky would be going home on the train alone, but she thought that it was better that she stayed at school with Natalie. Jacky at least had parents waiting to welcome her home. Natalie, a muggleborn, had strange looks and a crap load of questions. Yeah, it was better that she'd stay with Natalie.

Lily folded the letter twice. Then she reached over and tied it to the foot of her father's owl Hedwin. He chirped before taking flight out the window, and Lily stared absentmindedly after him. A stampede coming down the stairs caused her to shift her attention.

Five boys came trampling into the common room. Lily recognized them all. The Slytherin first years. Dmitri, Liam, Cullen, Shepherd, and Tyler. They were all mixed between half bloods and muggleborns. Very few purebloods were left at Hogwarts.

"Potter!" Cullen said.

"Van Laam!" Lily responded sarcastically.

A few onlookers snickered.

"The boys and me were gonna go toss around the quaffle. Want to join us?"

Lily didn't even waste time with an answer. If it meant not sulking in the common room, she'd be up for almost anything.

"You bet!"

Five minutes later, Lily and the other five first years were stepping through the deep snow into the pitch, their brooms at their sides. Dmitri held the quaffle.

Someone was already flying around. It took only a moment for Lily to realize who owned those brunette locks. Tom.

Cullen reached over and elbowed Lily. "Isn't that your boyfriend?"

"Ex." Lily muttered, her cheeks flushing red. She tried to pretend it was due to the cold.

"You can leave if you’d rather not stay..."

Lily swallowed anxiously, but shook her head.

"I'll be fine." She looked at the other boys. "I'm sure I can teach you boys a thing or two."

They chuckled.

"You're on, Lily," Cullen remarked.

She swung her leg over and mounted her broom. The boys followed suit and they all kicked off the ground. Lily flew behind them in the hopes that Tom wouldn't see her.

"Hey, Alphard!" Dmitri called to him.

Tom stopped midair and looked over at Dmitri.

"Hey. Davis, isn't it? Dmitri?"