Chapter Nine: Yes

Lily groaned as she had to chisel yet another piece of gum from under the desk. She had been at this  for 3 straight hours. Professor Manchester had ordered her to clean the gum from under every single desk within three rooms. Lily hated this job deeply. She yearned to use her wand, but Manchester threatened to double her detention if she did so. So now here she was, crawling from desk to desk, removing used gum from underneath.

She was more than exhausted when Manchester entered the room. Lily stopped immediately and got up off the floor. Manchester held up a hand to stop her.

"Oh, you're not done," Professor Manchester said, his dark eyes glowing cruelly. "I just brought you a helper. Get this room and the one across the hall, and you're done." His malicious grin made Lily want to puke.

"Who?" Lily asked, looking away.

Manchester reached behind himself and pushed a clumsy Tom into the room. 

"I'm sure you two will get done quickly," With that, Manchester turned on heel and left the room.

Tom and Lily just stood there a moment, staring at the ground, before Lily ran at Tom and gave him a hug. He was surprised, but he awkwardly put an arm around her.

"Are you alright?" Lily asked, tears brimming her eyes. "We heard him, Manchester, yelling at you. Albus and Scorpius tried to go back and save you, but I wouldn't let them. I'm so sorry!"

They moved away from each other. Tom shrugged. "It's alright. I suppose it's better than you all getting in trouble."

"But I should have distracted him! I really am sorry." Lily said.

"Really, Lily. It's fine. And please don't cry..." Tom said, looking uncomfortable. "Can we just get through with detention? I really don't like being cooped up on a Saturday."

Lily gulped and nodded, picking up her chisel, and crawling back under the table. 

"Did...Did he hurt you?" Lily asked, picking at a piece of green bubble gum.

"No," Tom said softly. "We just..Talked."

Lily knew he didn't want to talk about it anymore, so she changed the subject. 

"So I heard you had a thing for Akacia Blume?" Lily spoke casually, hoping to get an entertaining reaction. 

"Ha. Akacia. Yeah, I think not. No where near my type."

"Your type? I wasn't aware you had one. Amuse me," Lily said.

So for the next twenty minutes, the duo passed their time talking about witches and wizards in their class. Though neither Tom nor Lily revealed anything about who they actually fancied. 

"So you don't like anyone specific?" Tom asked finally. They were about half way done in the second class room by this time.

"Hm. That's a tough one. There is one guy who I kind of click with, but I doubt he'd ever notice me," Lily said, dropping her quarter full bucket of gum on the ground.

"Oh really? And who might this prince be?" Tom asked, seeming relatively interested.

 "Uh...I don't really think I should say...Perhaps when I'm more sure of our status." 

Tom smirked. "You always sound so grown-upish." 

"If grown-upish is even a word. Ha," Lily said, laughing.

Lily found herself actually enjoying hanging out with Tom.

"When we get out of this dump, I say we go fly in the Quidditch Pitch. We both have homework, but I suppose we can hold that off till tonight."