Chapter Ten: Ending It All

3 weeks. That's how long Lily and Tom had been going out. 3 entire weeks. Lily didn't realize this until she sat down and thought about it. For three weeks, they had been snogging in every last hallway and in both of their dormitories. It's a wonder no one had complained, yet! Though Albus didn't seem too pleased about being kicked out of his bed so that Lily and Tom could talk privately every morning.

And it wasn't until this day as well, that Lily had remembered about that mystery boy at the first Quidditch practice. The more she thought about it, the better she could imagine it. His hair...It wasn't smooth like Albus' . but more disheveled, similar to James'. Lily KNEW she had seen it before.

This thought etched its way into Lily's mind, deeper and deeper. Like how a knife protrudes it's target. As Lily walked to her Potions lesson today, she saw a familiar lock of flaming red hair. The person was engaged with another, which Lily found to be quite...gross? Snogging in a somewhat busy corridor didn't seem too ethical in Lily's mind. Then again, Lily and Tom were quite accustomed to that...As Lily got closer and closer to the couple, Lily recognized the girl. Rose. She was still snogging...Luke?!?!

Her mouth was open in shock and she nearly dropped her books as she watched her cousin snog Luke. Luke noticed Lily after a few moments, and put a bit of distance between himself and the older redhead. 

"Hello Luke," Lily said awkwardly. "Rose." She pretended to be fascinated by the hem on her robes. As she looked up, Luke's eyes narrowed, a flash of anger shone upon the dark blue in them. Lily was confused, even more so when Luke grabbed Rose's hand and led her along behind him. Rose gave Lily a saddened frown. Finding an ounce the courage, Lily shouted to him. 

"Jealousy is a vile thing, Luke!"

"Almost as repulsive as yourself!" He shouted back, before disappearing along with Rose, into another corridor.

A professor Lily didn't recognize came out of a nearby classroom and told her to hush. Lily appologized repeatedly and thanked the young woman for not granting Lily detention. Lily waited until the teacher retreated back into her classroom before hustling down the hall to Potions. She got there a little late, but thankfully Professor Manchester wasn't in the room. Lily sat down and joined Jacky at a cauldron. Natalie wasn't attending any of the classes due to the fact that she contracted dragon pox. So she was in bed sick. 

"Where's Manchester?" Lily whispered to Jacky. She didn't want all the other kids to hear her. Some were actually brewing their potions, while others were goofing off.

"I dunno. The instructions were on the board when we came in. We just started working right away. Where were you?"

Lily stared off into nothing. "I was watching my cousin snog Luke..." Lily trailed off.

"Nuh uh!" Jacky exclaimed in surprise.

"Sadly, yes."

"Wow! That's almost as unbelievable as you and Tom," Jacky said, before quickly covering her mouth. She looked in horror at Lily as to see what damage she had just done/

"What? You don't think we're a good couple?" Lily asked.

"I don't think that! You guys are perfect together! It's just...He really likes you, Lily. A lot! We can all tell. The way he admires you and looks at you in such adoration. And...I just don't think you feel the same way..." Jacky looked carefully at Lily, waiting for any type of emotion seap into her face. Nothing. Lily knew she couldn't argue. She DIDN'T like Tom. At least, not as much as he liked her. She was only using him. But she couldn't tell him that. He really did like her. He'd be...heartbroken if Lily ended it. But Lily couldn't keep up this lie. She could hardly believe she kept up with it for 3 entire weeks already!