Chapter 9

Sweeney felt like absolute shit since he had been kicked out of the bar after his fight with Wednesday's new attack dog. Sure he had provoked the man, but there was just something about being in a fight that got his blood pumping. Then there was the matter of the old bastard stealing his lucky coin. A leprechaun was nothing without his luck and that was why they protected it like a firedrake protecting its horde of treasure. Knowing that Wednesday had it made him see red. Taking in a shaky breath he scrubs a hand down his face but lets out a hiss as his hand brushes against a rather larger bruise underneath his left eye. Though who was he kidding his whole body was covered in cuts and bruises.

Leaning against a parked car he glanced at his reflection in the car's window. Sweeney didn't recognize the man staring back at him. The stranger's eyes were bloodshot, his hair and beard once bright red were now dulled to a muddy brownish-red color.  His eyes once full of life and mischief were now dull and lifeless.  Not wanting to look at the pathetic man he had become a moment longer Sweeney turns his back to the car and continued on his way. People were quick to get out of his way as he approached them, and would murmur their judgments amongst themselves when they thought he was out of earshot.  Tugging his jacket tighter around him, he lowered his eyes and shut them out.

Just as he was coming up to a busy intersection. A nasally voice says from behind him. "How the mighty have fallen, you look like absolute shit Leprechaun." Cursing under his breath Sweeney plasters a scowl on his face and turns to confront one of the assholes trying to keep all the power for themselves. He then growls out. "Techno brat, what have I done to draw your attention." The young man before him was dressed in a bright orange t-shirt and black pants and white tennis shoes. Taking a drag off of the vape pen in his hand Technical Boy blows a cloud of smoke right into Sweeney's face and says tightly. "As long as you work for that old bastard Wednesday, you will draw attention to yourself."

Choking on the stench of burning plastic, Sweeney waves a hand in the air in an attempt to clear the air of the smoke. Smirking, the punk says to him calmly. "What if I could reunite you with that mortal that you seem to care so much about." He narrows his eyes at that and replies back tartly. "I would love nothing more than to be reunited with her, but if you think that I'll sell out Wednesday you are dead wrong." Raising his hands in exasperation Technical Boy then asks him. "Why are you so hell-bent on helping him? What do you have to gain if the war happens?" A wolfish grin spreads across his face as he takes a threatening step towards the upstart and snarls out. "We made a deal, me and old One-Eye, as for the war I'm just happy that I might get the chance to kill one of you cocky bastards."

Fear mixed with the scent from his vape pen as he stuttered out. "Mr.World will hear of this." Rolling his eyes at the empty threat, Sweeney started to tell the little prick to leave him alone already but suddenly the air next to him shimmered and out of thin air stepped the one guy he had hoped to never meet. The man was dressed in a light grey two-piece suit with a matching fedora hat and shoes. In a paper-thin voice, he addresses Sweeney. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mad Sweeney, I apologize for whatever my colleague here might have said to upset you." Sweeney took an involuntary step back, there was just something about Mr.World that always set him on edge.

With a sweep of his hand, he removes his hat and advances toward Sweeney. He then states calmly. "Though I too am curious on why you continue to help Wednesday, you are just a pawn for him to use and to throw away when you're no longer useful." Technical Boy took another drag off his vape pen and blew out several smoke rings. Sweeney took a calming breath and addressed the two of them. "I owe you no loyalty, I may be just a pawn for Wednesday to use and throw away when he sees fit but I would give the man my life if it would make it so that we beat you." Mr.World cocked a brow at that then asks him. "So you don't care about Miss. Rogers well being?" A growl was the only warning the New God had before Sweeney lunged forward grabbed ahold of the lapels of his suit and slammed him against the wall of a nearby building.