Chapter 8

The next morning, I sit at the dining room table, munching away on Frosted Flakes when Pop walks into the room with a folded up newspaper in his hand

The next morning, I sit at the dining room table, munching away on Frosted Flakes when Pop walks into the room with a folded up newspaper in his hand. “Hey son, how was your party last night?”

I’d spent all of last night and majority of this morning reeling over how I didn’t introduce myself to Yellow Shirt Girl or roam the streets in search of her, beating myself up and regretting my every move—or, in this case, lack thereof.

Pop nudges my arm with his hand when I don’t reply. I look up from my bowl to see him staring deep into my eyes. “Well, you’re not much of a drinker so I know there’s no chance you’re hungover right now. So what’s got you so quiet?”

I lean back in my chair, scratching at the stubble on my chin. “I saw this girl last night,” I tell him, closing my eyes a little so I can envision her perfect face again. “She was so beautiful and mesmerizing.”

Pop swallows, his brows momentarily pinching together. “Did you talk to her?”

“No.” I shake my head. “Do you remember Peyton?”

His eyes widen in realization. “Peyton Armstrong? The Peyton Armstrong who—” I nod my head, confirming his recollection then proceed to tell him what all happened last night and watch as his expression morphs from intrigued to elation, then from elation to sympathy.

“Did you at least find out her name?” Pop asks once I’m finished, sounding nearly as deflated as I feel. “Nope. That’s why I’m so bummed.”

“Did anyone at the party know who she was?”

“No.” I groan, plopping my head onto the table with a loud thud. “I’m screwed.”

***

“Kells!” I greet my little sister, extending my arms for a hug. She races to me, encircling her arms around my waist. “Today is your last first day of junior high!” I say, shaking my head in disbelief while she lets out a little laugh and we part from our embrace.

I can’t believe that my little sister will be in high school next year. It’s crazy how fast she’s grown up. It seems like yesterday I helped Mom deliver her after she’d gone into premature labor while Dad was out of town. The twins were freaking out, unsure of what to do; Luke passed out from the stress of the situation and Jason was screaming on the phone with 911 while they were instructing him to tell me—the youngest and only sane child in the room—on what to do.

I have to admit, it was awkward being as young as I was and having to see my Mom’s lady bits, but I couldn’t just stand there and do nothing. I had to help her, I wanted to help her.

Seeing birth for the first time was fascinating. It gave me a lot of respect for not only my Mom but for all women. I couldn’t imagine having to give birth. Hell, I couldn’t imagine having to deal with the burden of getting a period every month.