Chapter 20

"Hey, sweetie," Mom greets me as she enters the living room

"Hey, sweetie," Mom greets me as she enters the living room. She called me not that long ago asking if she could stop by for a visit. With her having a spare key, I didn't have to bother getting the door.

"Hey." I smile at her, flicking through the channels to see nothing but reruns playing. Why is it that, when you're busy, all of the best shows and movies are on, but when you have free time, nothing but reruns and infomercials are on? That's Satan's work right there, if you ask me.

I'm torn between watching the Golden Girls and Full House. Ultimately, I decide on Full House because, well, Uncle Jesse.

Have mercy.

Mom takes a seat beside me, resting her legs on the ottoman and leaning backwards on the couch. "Please tell me you don't plan on sitting in front of the TV all weekend," she remarks, glancing from me to the screen.

Setting the remote down on the coffee table, I pull a fuzzy blanket over my thighs. "Nah." I lean an elbow on the arm of the chair, propping my head up with the palm of my hand. "I'm actually going on a date this weekend," I absently mumble, reaching in my bag of Sun Chips and stuffing a few in my mouth.

Mom's head jerks toward me, her lips parted open. "I'm sorry. Did I just hear that my daughter is going on a date this weekend?" I nod my head, still munching on chips. "With who? Bradley?"

My nose involuntarily scrunches up at the thought of dating my best friend's asshole older brother. I shake my head. "Hell no!" I shake my head again to get my point across. "Why would you ask such a thing?"

"Because," she draws out the word. "He was your first crush. And he did just help you move in here."

"Okay, and?" I mute the TV, dropping the remote on my lap. "That doesn't mean anything. I stopped liking him a long time ago, you know that. We're friends, and that's all we'll ever be."

"Then who are you going on a date with?" I raise my shoulders and hands in a shrug. "What do you mean you don't know?"

"Just that: I don't know," I laugh, grabbing more chips from the bag. I extend an arm and hold the open bag to see if she wants any. She shakes her head.

"Is this some kind of joke?" she asks, joining in on my laughter.

"No, I seriously don't know who the guy is that I'm going on a date with," I tell her, folding up the bag of chips and putting a clamp on the top to keep them fresh. "It's a blind date."

She recoils with a curl of the lip and her brows pulled down. She isn't thrilled about the idea. Well, that, or she's shocked that I agreed to go on a date in the first place. Either way, I can't blame her. "Do you know anything about this guy that you're going out with?"

"Nope," I say, popping the P for emphasis. "Well, that's not entirely true, I do know his name. But other than that, I don't know shit," I giggle, finding humor in the fact of how in the dark I am. Thanks, Henry and Joyce.