Chapter 17

I promise that I'll stay away

Six words.

Six words that feel so damn heavy and a promise that feels so inexplicably difficult to keep.

I've always been proud of myself for being a man of his word, but this time? This time, I wish that I wasn't. Because if I wasn't, I would've been a permanent fixture on Kat's front porch, begging her for a chance every time she stepped foot outside. I would've sent flowers. I would've walked through fire with my eyes closed if it meant I got the chance for her to see the man I actually am--the man who's fulfilling a promise he doesn't want to keep.

"I'm guessing it's safe to assume you didn't tell her how you feel considering how quiet you are?" Matt asks, momentarily glancing over at me from the driver's side. We're still parked outside of Kat's house.

I shake my head, knowing the possibility of my voice being audible in the state I'm in is slim.

"Are you fucking kidding me, dude?" He raises his hands in the air, dropping them on top of the steering wheel with a thud.

"I'm not," I croak, voice thick with a mixture of regret and sadness.

Matt points a finger towards Kat's house. "You better get out of this fucking truck, march that jolly-green-giant ass up those porch steps, knock on that fucking door and kiss her damn face off right the fuck now then!"

I shake my head weakly. "I promised I'd leave her alone."

"Who gives a fuck?" He throws a glance over his shoulder, looking at Brian. "Do you? Because I sure don't." Brian, I can only presume, shook his head, because Matt adds, "See. He doesn't give a fuck either."

"I made a promise," I repeat, wishing he'd drop the subject.

"So fucking what? My Mom and Dad promised me that Santa Claus was real, and I think you can see where this is going." He blows out an agitated breath, pushing his fingers through his hair.

Brian clears his throat, reaching an arm over the passenger seat to place his hand on my shoulder. "I think the point Matt's trying to make is that she'll be disappointed you didn't listen, but after she gets to know you, the real you, she'll get over it."

"Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but it would've been boring without the curse words and shit." Matt falls backward in his seat with yet, another deep exhale. "Anyway. You're crazy about her. You haven't shut up about her since August, and you're just gonna give up on her like that?"

"What else am I supposed to do? She doesn't want me anywhere near her and thinks that I'm an ass, and I can't blame her for thinking that way since I haven't shown her otherwise."

Brian's hand smacks me upside the head, hard. I turn around to see him scowling at me. "It's been forty-eight fucking hours, you dimwit! For as long as you're alive, you have plenty of time to make up for being a dickhead!"