Chapter 27

In life, people tell you things that are almost too unfathomable to believe, things that you can immediately tell aren't truthful and said just for the hell or humor of it

In life, people tell you things that are almost too unfathomable to believe, things that you can immediately tell aren't truthful and said just for the hell or humor of it. And that's why I find myself blinking hard and fast, my jaw hanging agape, struggling to believe the answer Katie gave me when I asked how many boyfriends she's had.

Truthfully, I didn't care. I didn't want to know, and I didn't want to think of her being with another guy. Hell, I don't even like seeing her ogle at that Golden Retriever looking dude from that depressing TV show she likes so much. But, since she asked me, it only felt fair that I asked her. And then she gave me an answer–an answer that, no matter how many times I replay in my head, I still struggle to wrap my head around.

She's lying. She has to be.

Katie cocks her head to the side, teeth sinking into her busted lip. She inhales a breath, her chest expanding and decreasing at the action as she gestures for me to speak. "Go ahead, make fun."

Drawing back in my seat, taking a head over my face, I shake my head solemnly. "Why would I make fun?"

She looks off, at nothing in particular, cracking her knuckles–something I've noticed she does whenever she's nervous. "Because I've never had a boyfriend."

"Where's the humor in that?"

Katie chuckles, waving me off with a steady nod of the head. "You're right. It's not funny, it's depressing. You got any tissues?" My brows pull together at her response. "Not for me, for you."

"Why would I cry?" I wonder out loud, gauging her expression for insight. "Better yet, why would I laugh? If I did either, I'd be crying and laughing at my own expense, not yours. I mean, I haven't even kissed or slept with anyone before."

"That's about as funny as it is believable," is all she says.

"Why's that?"

She looks at me through her thick lashes, a Duh expression on her face. "You lying about your experiences to make me feel better." Pushing her fingers through her hair, she exhales, "Look, I appreciate the effort, but I don't need or want your pity, and I certainly don't want you lying about shit just to make me feel–"

"I'm not lying," I interrupt, holding out a pinky, assuring her of my sincerity. "Shit, I've never even liked anyone until Austin and Travis's party–until I saw you." Jesus Christ, I think, I can barely see Katie through the smoke from all these truth bombs I keep dropping.

Katie stares at me, her gaze moving from my eyes to my extended pinky. She reaches out a hand, pushing mine down.

My hand sets ablaze from the mere contact. Her hand falls back to her lap, extinguishing the flames spreading throughout my body.

"I haven't either," she quietly and timidly admits, adding, "Had sex or kissed anyone."

"No judgment here, I'm sure you had your reasons," I say, taking note of her unease, joking, "The majority of the male population being douchebags probably being the primary reason."