Chapter 45

"So what brings you by again?" I ask

Bradley makes himself at home, sitting on the middle cushion on the couch and manspreading, both his arms and his legs. He's doing everything he can to piss Leon off and it shows.

Leon takes a seat on the recliner, catching my arm as I walk past him to take a seat on the couch. He gently tugs me toward him, wordlessly asking me to sit with him, and I oblige, taking a seat on his lap.

Leon's staking his claim, I think to myself, I hope he doesn't feel insecure over Bradley.

Leon wastes no time, throwing his arm around my waist and laying his palm flat on my thigh.

"I came to drop off your invitation to Miranda's surprise birthday party," Bradley says. "I didn't give you a plus one though, I figured you'd be coming alone then going home with me."

Leon's muscles tense beneath me. A huff of air blows past his lips as he opens his mouth to speak, but I beat him to it.

"Maybe in your dreams." Leon doesn't bother to fight or contain his laughter. It's petty and childish, but I like that what I said has eased him up a bit. "And I'd appreciate it if you'd wake up. I have a boyfriend now and I don't like you like that." Not anymore, I want to add, but refrain. Now's not the time for Leon to find out Bradley was my first crush, not when he's egging him on and flirting with me.

But all that goes out the window when Bradley says, "But you did like me like that before."

"Where's the invitation," I all but spit out. "The faster you get out of here, the fewer brain cells I'll lose." Bradley laughs and reaches into his back pocket, pulling out a silver envelope. He hands it to me. "Now leave."

"Jeez," he whistles. "All I did was state a fact," Bradley says, leaning on his knees with his elbows. "You did like me before, way back when."

"Exactly," I retort, agitation dripping in my voice. "That was way back when. Now I'm in a relationship, and these comments need to stop."

Bradley holds his hands up in surrender, waving. "Okay, okay. I get it. You got a new man now." He stands up from the couch, looking between me and Leon with a devious glint in his eyes. "I'll take the L, but you can still have this D."

Leon quickly gets up from his seat, but he's careful to not let me slip off his lap while doing so. He gets in Bradley's face, the veins in his neck and forehead bulging, his jaw clenching. "If you know what's good for you, then shut up and fucking leave."

Heart pounding, I sit up and grab hold of Leon's forearm, but it's no use. He's like a hungry tiger about to pounce on its prey—his attention is locked on Bradley and no one else ceases to exist.

"Oh, I know what's good for me," Bradley tells him, his eyes falling on me. "Katie knows it, too."

"Leave, Bradley. Now," I demand, removing my hand from Leon's forearm and grabbing hold of Bradley's t-shirt. I pull on it, but instead of his body coming towards me like I'd hoped, his shirt tears open right down the middle with a loud riiiiiip.