Chapter 11

Continuing down the trail, everyone kept their eyes out for Angie or anything that could lead them to her while at the same time watching out for any danger.

"Can I try to call her?" Tammy suddenly asked, "I mean I know I shouldn't draw any unwanted attention, but what if she's hurt somewhere and waiting for a miracle."

"The only miracle that will happen is when we get off this damn island" Eli grunted.

Tammy rolled her eyes before turning to Mr. Monroe.

"Mr. Monroe?" she asked for his answer.

"Very well" he sighed, "I'll only let you do it twice."

"Thanks" she replied as she cupped her hands over her mouth and shouted "Angie!"

Her call echoed throughout the jungle, loud enough for Hayden to hear as he stopped walking.

"What is it?" Angie asked him.

Before he could answer, he heard Tammy shouting out Angie's name again.

"I can hear your friend calling for you" he responded.

"What?" she gasped.

"They're getting closer, we're almost there."

Meanwhile, everyone waited for a response from Angie, but nothing.

"Oh damn," Tammy breathed worriedly, "That better not mean she's dead."

"Let's just keep going" Mr. Monroe ordered as they went back to walking.

_______

"So Hayden," Angie spoke as they kept on walking "How long have you lived here on this island?"

"Ever since I became who I am" he answered casually.

"And how long has that been?"

"I was 9 when I became a hybrid."

"So you weren't born a hybrid?" she concluded.

"Correct. Us hybrids aren't born like this, we become a hybrid when dragon blood mixes with our own blood, and it's usually done on purpose."

"Really?" she remarked, "Why?"

"Well first off, you may think that all dragons are evil from what you read and watch on the media, but they're not all like that. A dragon can save someone's life by turning them into a hybrid, all of the hybrids on this island were once dying at some point, but they were saved when they were turned by the dragons."

"And how many hybrids are there exactly?"

"I don't know the exact number, but a lot."

"Whoa" her eyes widen "How exactly do they end up on here?"

"It's mostly from getting shipwrecked or crashing down. One time, a plane full of college students crashed into the water near the beach, and they all survived when we turned them into hybrids."

"Oh my God" she gasped amazed.

"Yeah," he snickered "It was the most people they had to save."

"Well let me ask you this, do they ever get to leave the island? What if they have family out there?"

He gave a sad sigh, "I'm afraid that once we become hybrids, we can't leave the island. To the outside world, we're considered imaginary monsters. We must stay hidden for everyone's sake."

"So no one is allowed to see their families and friends again?"

"No" he mumbled gloomily "To the outside world, they're either considered dead or missing."