Chapter 24

As soon as he was ready to head to the waterfall, Hayden flew down the ground and allowed his wings to sink into his back, deciding to walk to the waterfall instead of fly. But right before he could enter the jungle, he heard being called out as he turned around to see Angie jogging towards him.

"You heading to the waterfall right now?" she asked.

"Yeah," he nodded with a small smile "You wanna tag along?"

Her smile answered his question as they entered the jungle.

"So what you gonna tell your parents when you get back home?" he asked as they strolled down the path "Cause you know you can't tell them about us."

"I know," she replied, "And I won't, don't worry. I think we'll just tell them that we crashed onto an island and did everything we could to survive without the knowledge of you and your kind."

"Sounds simple enough" he commented.

"Well, it's more realistic than telling them that we met some dragons" she giggled.

"Hey uh, speaking of home," he added, "I don't think you told me what you were planning on studying when you go to college."

"Oh. Well, I'm planning on getting my degree as a Wildlife Biologist."

"I'm not surprised" he smirked.

"If you were to go to college, what you get your degree in?"

He let out a small sigh, "I've never actually thought about that."

"Oh come on," she doubted with a smirk "When you were a kid, what did you wanted to be when you grow up?"

"Oh," he chuckled, "I wanted to be a lot of things. Although, I really did wanted to become a firefighter."

"Wow," she snickered, "How ironic."

"Yeah," he laughed, "I mean, I wanted to save people's lives. And unlike other kids, I knew how to handle fire better than them."

"And now you have the ability to cause fires."

"Yep," he muttered, "So much for that dream."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, firefighters are heroes, and you're already a hero to me."

He stopped and turned to her with an amused look, "I am?"

"Not only did you save my life twice, but you also saved my friends. You and your kind gave us food and shelter, not to mention your kind was able to fix our radio. If it wasn't for you guys, my friends and I would still be out on the beach slowing dying with no way of calling for help. And as sad as we have to leave today, we owe you our thanks."

Hayden gave a small smile, "And I should thank you as well."

"What for?"

"It has been so long since I've had contact with the outside world. You were the first human I ever encountered who didn't need to be turned. It felt weird at first talking to a human who, well, was just human. But that's when I realized how much of a blessing it was. When I talk to you, a part of me feels like I'm still human. And even though it has to be cut short, it was fun while it lasted. And I don't remember the last time I ever felt this connected to anyone."

At that moment, Angie felt herself blushing with a bashful smile when Hayden suddenly stepped towards her so that they were only inches apart.

"I sure am gonna miss you when you leave," he stated as they stared into each other's eyes.

"As will I," she agreed.

But as they continued to stare at each other with smiles, they suddenly heard a voice speak out which caused them to turn their heads towards Conner who was leaning against a tree.