Chapter 29

The moment he was free, Hayden stormed out of the room where he was immediately spotted by a group of scientists who froze in shock when they saw him. He appeared more terrifying when he wasn't strapped to the table. His shirt had holes and tears so they could see his cobalt blue scales, he stared at them with his threatening bright yellow eyes, his dragon teeth that snarled at them and his fists that tightened his muscles.

The group of scientists were too frightened to run as they just stood there and stared back at him with fear in their eyes. But that's when Hayden noticed that one of the scientists was slowly reaching for the gun on his side. And at that moment, the hybrid didn't hesitate to think as he let out a loud roar before charging at them. Most of them were able to run off, but those who weren't so lucky got attacked as Hayden who never planned on killing them as he instead threw the ones he could grab into the wall, hard enough to knock them out.

By the time he was finished, he heard footsteps approaching as he turned around expecting to see more enemies he had to fight. But to his ease, it was his hybrid friends.

"Hayden!" Candace gasped in relief as she ran up and began to examine him "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine," he assured, "But the Commander has Angie, he's taking her to the mountains to look for more of the heartstone."

"Wait, what?!" Erin gasped, "But- the only way he can get his hands on them is if he-"

"I know," he cut in with a scared look "That's why we gotta hurry."

"I got an idea," Candace announced, "Hayden and I will go stop the Commander and get Angie, the rest of you find her friends."

"I think they're somewhere down there," Hayden pointed down a hall.

"We'll find them," Brett assured, "You guys go ahead. Be careful."

Hayden and Candace gave their friends promising nods before taking off.

_________

When they came upon the mountains, Angie was forced to climb up to keep following the Commander with the two soldiers behind her. She didn't know how long they had been climbing considering how high they had gotten, but Angie was growing more exhausted by the second. She felt herself getting weaker at every step that she nearly slipped a few times.

"Why did you bring me with you?!" she panted at the Commander, "Why don't you just leave me here to die?!"

"I could do that," Commander Darabont replied casually, "But I'm afraid I need you for something."

"What?!" she demanded, "What do you need me for?!"

He was about to respond when he spotted something that caught his eye. There poking out beneath the crust was something blue and smooth. And as he bent down and ripped away the thin layer of the crust, he knew he had found what he was looking for.

"Here it is fellas," he grinned proudly "The Dragon Heartstone."

"Okay," Angie scowled, "Now that you've found it, how do you plan of getting it out? Because by the looks of it, it looks glued to the mountain."

He didn't say anything as he took off the backpack he was wearing and unzipped it as he reached in and pulled out something that made Angie's chest tighten.

"Is that dynamite?" she gasped.

"It is one of the best ways to get minerals" he stated.

"No," she declared, "You are not blowing up this mountain!"

She tried to grab the dynamite from him, but he pulled it away while raising his hand up above her as she shielded her face with her arms. But when he didn't strike, she slowly lowered her arms to see that he had put down his hand.

"This is where you come in," he revealed when he suddenly grabbed onto her arm and began to drag her up the mountain.

"What are you doing?!" she screamed while trying to break away "Let go of me!"

_________

Still locked in the windowless cell, Angie's friends began to fear the worst as Tammy's body was shaking in panic.

"What if they're killing her right now?" she mumbled nervously, "And what if they come back here to finish all of us?!"

"We don't know anything, Tammy" Eli responded with a fearful look "We don't know what they're doing to her and to the others and we certainly don't know what's going to happen to us."

"Well, I know for sure that they're most likely gonna kill us. And if that's the case, I'm ready for it."

At that moment, they suddenly heard the door unclick as it swung open. Everyone had expected it to be the Commander or some soldiers but to their surprise and relief, it was Hayden's friends.

"Oh thank goodness!" Tammy exclaimed.

"You guys okay?" Erin asked as they allowed them to come out.

"We're fine," Eli assured when he spotted Conner "Conner?"

"Yes, I'm helping," the hybrid muttered, "I do care about things."

"It's alright," Savanah promised.

"Well then," Eli changed the subject "Did you guys see Angie?"

"No," Jayce shook his head nervously "The Commander has her."

"Where?" Tammy demanded.

"He's taken her to the mountains to look for more of the dragon heartstone, though I suspect something more sinister than that."

"And what about Hayden?"

"He and Candace are gonna try to get her and stop Darabont" Brett explained.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Tammy questioned, "Let's go help them!"

"Hold on guys!" Jackson suddenly spoke up, "There's something we gotta get before we go, this way."

"Jackson, what is it?" Eli asked as they followed him around the corner.

"There's something I saw before we got thrown in the cell," he told when they came upon a different door "I just hope they're still there."

He tried to open the door but found it locked.

"Um, a little help?" he summoned the hybrids.

"I've got this," Conner offered as he went up to the door and using his dragon strength, he banged his shoulder and arm against the door as it broke open.

"What's inside?" Tammy asked as they all looked inside and gasped.

"Oh, sweet glory" Eli's eyes widened with amusement.

Inside the storage room was a bunch of firearms, all different types of guns from pistols to shotguns to bazookas, even some grenades were spotted. Everyone stood there speechless as they stared at exactly what they needed.

"Oh, hell yeah," Tammy grinned proudly, "Now we're ready for a fight."