Chapter 22

Now that the sun was starting to set, Angie made her way around the area looking for Jackson as she walked past the hybrids and dragons until she finally spotted him coming out from the tent that had the pilots.

"Jackson," she called out as she walked up to him "Do you have a moment to talk?"

"Um, sure," he replied, "What's up?"

"Well, Hayden just told me something very interesting" she frowned with her arms crossed.

"Um-" he responded while trying to hide his nervousness "What was it?"

"I know that look on your face, you know what I'm talking about."

He let out a sigh in defeat, knowing he was caught.

"So you knew this whole time I was crushing on you and you never said anything?"

"I'm sorry," he breathed, "Look, the reason why is because my dad said that I shouldn't date until I was out of high school, he wanted me to focus on getting into college first. But even if I did get into college, he didn't want me to focus on dating until he knew for sure I couldn't handle it. I was planning on asking you out when I was ready but-but-"

"But what?" she demanded.

He tried to get his words out, but they were stuck in his throat.

"Is this about Hayden?" she asked, "Jackson, what did you say to him? But more importantly, why did you tell him about me crushing on you?"

Once again, he couldn't get his words out as he stood there nervously.

"Jackson," Angie gritted her teeth "Tell me the truth."

"Fine," he suddenly gave up "You want the truth? I can see why you're falling for him, he's an attractive young man who's not completely human who has saved your life twice so far, it's like your typical human and non-human love story. But here's the thing, Angie, we're leaving this island tomorrow, and you're never going to see him again. You've already got your life planned out, remember how excited you were on getting into college? Well, since you've been accepted, you need to prepare for it."

At that moment, Angie couldn't help but agree to herself that he was right. Tomorrow they would leave this island, and since it was almost impossible to reach this island, she realized that she might never see Hayden again, not to mention that she did have her future planned out.

"I can tell that you know I'm right" Jackson put in, "And look, I'm not saying that I want you to be with me, because I know that you like Hayden now. But this is the truth, after tomorrow, you're never going to see him and the other hybrids again. I'm sorry to tell you that but- that's the way it is."

"You don't have to apologize for that" she mumbled sadly while rubbing her arms "You're right. As much as I would love to be with him, I know that it could never happen. I have to go back home to my family and get ready for college. I do have my life planned out, and I need to get on it. And look, I've been crushing on you for a long time, but now, those feelings I've felt for you- well, they're just not there anymore, I'm sorry."

"I understand," he stated softly "I won't push you."

She was already feeling tears forming in her eyes as she tried to hold them back.

"You should get something to eat" Jackson suggested, "And then you should get some rest."

"I will," she nodded with a sigh as she wiped away a tear that was beginning to drip down her face.

Without another word, Angie turned around and began to head back to her hut while allowing her tears to flow down her cheeks. Not wanting to be around anyone, she went into her hut and laid down on her bed and let her emotions run free. She wasn't in the mood to eat as she just let her eyes ball out in tears while feeling her heart aching in pain. On one hand, she knew that she had to leave to see her family and to go to her dream college, but on the other hand, she didn't want to leave Hayden.

Never in her life did she think she would deal with this kind of dilemma, and she had no idea what she was going to do.

"Angie?" she suddenly heard Tammy call while knocking on the door.

She had forgotten that she was sharing the hut with Tammy as she quickly wiped away her tears.

"Can I come in?" Tammy asked softly.

"Um," Angie mumbled, "Now's not exactly the best time."

"Angie, I heard you crying. I just want to talk to you."

She cursed herself for allowing herself to cry so loud. And as much as she appreciates her friend trying to help, she just didn't want to see anyone at the moment.

"I'm coming in" Tammy announced as she opened the door.

Angie didn't look up as she kept her head low as more tears flowed down her face.

"Hey," Tammy breathed sadly as she closed the door and sat next to her on the bed "What's wrong?"

Even though she didn't want to talk about it, Angie didn't want to keep things from her best friends as she forced her words out.

"We're leaving tomorrow" she sniffed, "And that means I'm never gonna see Hayden again."

"Oh," Tammy replied gloomily "Angie, I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize" Angie mumbled, "I mean, I should've seen this coming. We're leaving this island tomorrow, and that means I'll get to see my family again and get ready for college that I've been planning for since high school. I have my future planned out, and now I have to get ready for it."

"But, what about Hayden?"

Even just hearing his name caused her heart to break more as she wiped away her tears.

"I know I've only known him for 2 days but-" she mumbled sadly "I don't want him out of my life. I've never met anyone like him, and I'm not just saying that because he's only haft human, but he's saved my life twice so far, and I just enjoy being around him, I love talking with him."

"And what about Jackson?" Tammy put in, "We know you've been crushing on him for a long time."

"I know," she sniffed, "I was actually talking to him earlier about that. And apparently, I just don't feel that way about him anymore."

"What?" she gasped, "Are you serious?"

"I guess after meeting Hayden I completely forgot about my feelings for Jackson. I know it's stupid to feel that, especially since I'm already crushing on a new guy who I've only know for 2 days. And as much as I would love to be with Hayden, I know it could never happen. We landed on this island by accident, and we all know that it's hard to locate this place. And because of that, that's mean I'm never gonna see Hayden again, we'll never see the hybrids again."

Tammy felt her heart starting to break as well when she realized that Angie was right about that. They had such an interesting time on this island, even for just a short period. And now they had to leave it, and there was no way coming back.

"You're right," she mumbled, "We'll never see this place again after tomorrow. I wish there was a way but, I guess not everything has a happy ending."

"That's why life sucks sometimes" Angie sighed.

Not knowing what else to do, Tammy pulled Angie into a side hug as they embraced each other with sad looks.

"If I were you," Tammy suddenly spoke, "Tomorrow before we leave, I'd make the most of it. Spend as much time as you like with Hayden, at least that way you'll never forget each other."

"True," Angie sighed when they pulled away.

"In the meantime, you should eat something" Tammy suggested, "And then you should get some rest."

Angie gave a small nod as Tammy got up and left the hut. Now alone again, Angie let out a sigh as she laid her head on the bed. If they were going to leave tomorrow, she might as well make the best of it.