Ch.12 Promises

Meiko: You're being granted off campus permission for two hours.

Shingo: Really? What for?

Meiko: You've done a good job. Enjoy yourself.

........

Hachime: You guys ready?!

Softball Player: Yeah we're good to go!

Hachime nodded and began lightly hitting the softballs towards the basemen as they efficiently scooped up the balls and threw them to their respective places. After a couple more rounds of practice, Hachime ordered a water break. Hana approached the boy as he intensely stared at a clipboard.

Hana: Hey Hachime, what're you doing?

Hachime: Oh, I'm helping the girls with their softball practice. The coach asked if I could teach them for today. I'm not necessarily professional, but the girls insisted saying that they wanted an outside opinion on their playing style.

Hana: Oh my, you've become quite popular.

Hachime: Haha! Please, you flatter me. What were you up to?

Hana: Just taking a walk around. I have the day off from U.S.C duties. How are you adjusting to school life here?

Hachime: I'm doing okay. It took a day or so to remember everything but I think I got it down now. Hey, have you ever played Softball or Baseball?

Hana: Nope. Haven't a clue on how it's played.

Hachime: Really? How about I teach you? That way, if you come to my games, you'll know what's going on!

Hana: You just want me to get into baseball huh?

Hachime: Nothing wrong with that, right?

Hana: Nope. I'm down to learn it.

Hachime: Awesome! I'll teach you after practice.

Hana sat on the bleachers as Hachime talked with the softball team before running through more drills.

Hachime: That's all I can teach you all. I hope it helped.

Softball Coach: I'm sure it did. Make sure you all thank Mr. Ryouta for taking time out of his day to practice with you.

The Softball team bowed and thanked Hachime for the time as everyone began to pack up their things. Hana hopped off the bleachers and approached Hachime who was taking a sip from his water bottle.

Hachime: So, after watching the practice, what do you think?

Hana: It looks fun.

Hachime:  Okay, let's start by just playing catch.

Hachime handed Hana a baseball glove. After a little trouble, she put it on and Hachime put his on. Hachime grabbed a baseball and threw it into his glove the two stood across from each other about five yards apart.

Hachime: Okay, the rules are pretty simple. There are three bases and home plate. You score a point by running and touching all three bases and reaching home plate after hitting the ball with a bat. You're out if you get tagged with the ball, the player gets the ball and tags first base before you can reach it, or if you can't reach the next base and you can't go back to the previous base because of a teammate. As long as you're on a base, you can't be tagged out if you're on a base but that depends on the situation. After three outs the teams switch and the ones guarding the bases are gonna be batting. Simple enough right?