23. an entire army

malia, rachel and scott went to meet up with deucalion at a shipping containment

they heard a slamming noise which made them turn to look at him.

"any of you know the term for what i'm doing?" he asked them.

"echolocation." scott replied.

"you did your homework." deucalion replied.

"yeah, i looked a few things up." scott told him.

"and now you think you can learn in just one day what took me years to master?" deucalion asked.

"well, not exactly." rachel said.

"we were hoping for maybe a few highlights." malia told him.

"yeah, or anything that can help us fight the anuk-ite without looking at it." scott said.

"fighting blind is one thing. you haven't even learned to walk yet. an orientation and mobility specialist has to practice blindfolded with a white cane for at least a hundred and twenty hours before becoming certified. i can't teach you to walk and fight in less than twenty four." deucalion told them as the three of them all looked at each other.

"look, we know the odds are bad. but gerard's got an army. there's a creature that can scare ordinary people into becoming killers." scott said looking at deucalion.

"a creature now capable of killing you with just a look. you saw them, didn't you?" deucalion asked.

"yeah, we saw them." rachel said.

"we saw people turn to stone." malia said.

"so why aren't all of you running for your lives?" deucalion asked as rachel chuckled.

"that's cute." rachel said.

"because we don't run." scott replied.

"now that sounds like an alpha. let's get started." deucalion said to them.

-

liam and valerie were at the hospital the try and stop the other hunters and they were in the elevator when liam noticed valerie had tears in her eyes. liam pressed the button to stop the elevator.

"hey, val." liam said as he cupped her face and her green eyes locked with his blue ones.

"i just don't know how we're gonna make it out alive this time." valerie said as she sniffled and liam pulled her into a hug and she hugged him back tightly.

"i'm not gonna let anything happen to you." liam said making valerie pull away from him.

"that's the problem, liam. i can't let you get hurt because of me. i won't let that happen." valerie said.