~~THIRTEEN~~

Fleura

That moment was probably the most surprising of my life...or at least, it ranked high on the list. Sitting high up there with finding Dakota, and then discovering he's my mate...

Anyway...after little Noah's plea to stay with me, and calling me mama, it didn't take much discussion between me and Dakota before deciding to actually adopt him. I knew that I had grown very attached to little Noah in a short amount of time...but I wasn't sure how to ask Dakota about making him ours...thinking that he would probably want biological children first...

But seeing that soft look on his face as he played with the little pup in my arms warmed my heart, and it surprised me how he grew attached faster than I did. But I guess I should've known that from the start, because as serious and stoic as Dakota is when he's working, it goes away the second he comes home to me.

"What are you thinking about so hard flower?"

Dakota's voice startles me from my thoughts, and I look up to see him grinning at me from his place on the ladder, different shades of blue paint smeared on his old t shirt and hands from painting the bedroom that will belong to Noah once the paperwork is processed. The walls being painted light blue with white clouds that I've painted on, slowly darkening as it reaches the navy blue ceiling that Dakota is covering with glow in the dark stars, the dome shaped light looking like a moon when it's cut on...

It's perfect.

"I was just thinking about Noah...I'm a bit nervous..." I admit, and he immediately comes down from the ladder to stand in front of me, his can of navy paint still in hand.

"Why are you nervous love?" He questions, raising an empty hand to cup my cheek, and I lean into it.

"It's just...I've never been a parent, Noah is going to be my first kid...what if I do something wrong?"

"Flower, it's going to be okay...Noah's going to be my first too, so we can figure it out together, and I did help my mom take care of my sisters when they were little...so I do have some experience. Besides, my mom has raised four pups including me, so if there is anyone we can ask for help, it's going to be her. She's going to be thrilled about being a grandma, and my sisters are going to adore being aunts."

I feel the anxiety fade at his words, and as I look up to meet his gaze, I notice a smear of blue paint dried on his chin, and I can't help but giggle at the sight of it.

"What's so funny sunflower?"

I giggle again, "You have a little bit of paint right there." He chuckles as I poke his chin.

"So do you love..." He trails off as he leans in closer to my face, and my cheeks tinge pink.

"Where?" I ask, and his grin widens.

"Right...there!"

I jump at the feeling of cold paint being smeared over my cheek, and as Dakota laughs with his brush in hand, I decide to return the favor and dab some white paint on his forehead...and then a full scale fight erupts between us. Both of us careful not to splatter any on the walls as we chase each other around the room, trying not to slip on the plastic covering the carpet as we try to tag each other in any place possible. Clothes, skin, and even hair is targeted as we laugh at how ridiculous we're being...like children, but I love it...and I think he does too.

"Come here you!" He calls out as he chases me, the tables turning after he decided to dip both his hands in blue paint and run after me, and I struggle to keep out of his grasp while laughing, knowing that he'll catch me regardless.