Log book entry 14

I don’t think dawn is too far away. It’s still too dark to see much, but it’s definitely gotten brighter then when I found Dieter. I guess we have until dawn to find the last page. So far, no good. We’ve been walking for ages. My feet are going to need some serious suturing by the time we find the last page. Dieter is going to need his head stitched too. It isn’t bleeding any more but I’m worried an infection is going to develop.

My teeth chatter horribly in the cold. We are at serious risk of freezing to death. I’m the lucky one though; I have a jacket. Dieter hasn’t got anything to keep him warm. I hope we find the page before it’s too late. Not only do I want to live, I want to set those children free, whatever the cost. I certainly don’t want to be in that circle. Our jogging turns into stumbling. We are both exhausted. In fact, I was tempted to lie down and fall asleep at one point. But it’s a good job I didn’t. Otherwise I wouldn’t have woken up. Pretty soon, we come across a vast lake. If it was sunny, and not approximately 1 or 2 in the morning, it would’ve been a beautiful scene. The lashing rain and dark atmosphere take away its beauty, so it feels like you’re looking at the pits of Hell itself. A small island sits in the middle of the lake. It’s more or less just a mound of mud. Dieter shines the torch over to it, and gasps. “The page!” he says, shoving the torch in my hand. “Look, look! We must get it!”

“Hold on,” I say, restraining him from jumping into the icy water. “We don’t know what’s in there”. The water is literally a grey-black, and it appears to have lost its transparency. There could be any kind of horrors lurking there. “We have nothing to lose,” he says, which is true, but I still don’t feel like diving into whatever lurks in the depths. “Or, we could just wait it out until dawn. Until he stops his game and kills us”. This comment sends me packing the pages into the waterproof pouch I kept the torch, and working my way into the water. It is freezing. Literally. Dieter lets out an agonised cry. “That’s cold,” he gasps, cowering away. “I don’t think I can swim,” he decides, walking away from the water. “I think you’ve broken my fingers”. I roll my eyes. He shouldn’t have dived underneath me then! “Okay, fine. I’ll go. Just wait there, and hope Slendy doesn’t pop up”. Immediately, he changes his mind, and dives back into the freezing water. At first, we only have to wade through waist-depth freezing water, but around halfway across the lake, it turns into swimming. I’ve never been one for swimming, really. When everyone was out doing something sporty, I’d sit at the computer, or read a book. Dieter appears to be the same. It takes most of our energy to paddle through the lake. We finally reach the mound of mud, but something is wrong. Dieter spots it before me. “It’s gone!” he cries, spitting dirty water out. “The page, i-it’s gone!” We pull ourselves up onto the “island”, and indeed, the page isn’t there anymore. “What happened to it?!” I cry, now more terrified than ever.

“It must’ve blown away,” he cries, frantically searching the water by the island. “Oh no, it can’t have! No, no no!” I sit on the island, facing where we’d just came. We came so close. Is this where all the other poor souls ended up? Almost there, but not quite? My eyes look lazily over the lake. Maybe it’s time for me to fall asleep. Maybe if I do, I won’t feel anything…