Log book - final entry

Logbook – final entry

The weir is just metres from me. The riverbank ends here, and the ground begins. I turn my swollen neck to look at Dieter one last time, tears of both pain and fear glazed in my eyes. He stops and stares at me for a second, the fear and sadness reflected in his own eyes.

That’s when he does it.

He throws himself on the ground, just about not falling into the river. He lets out a cry of pain, and screws his face up in determination. He shuffles closer to the weir, breathing sharply. It’s nice of him to try, but I know he’s too late, because I’m going under. I close my eyes, and immediately, gallons of water wash over me. But instead of drowning, or falling back into the river, I suddenly feel a grasp. I can’t see, even if I open my eyes, because of all the water washing over me. I hear something snap, and an agonised groan, but I still ascend upwards. When I am finally out of the falling water, I realise Dieter had flung himself, nearly into the stream to save me. We crawl further up the bank, both shivering like crazy, both probably about to die if we don’t get help soon. Dieter’s arm is really badly broken. One of the bones in his forearm is poking out of the skin, and dark red blood is running freely from it. My forehead has split open, but the adrenaline rushing through me numbs the pain. We sit there, panting, spitting out water. It’s only just occurred to me that Dieter has saved me, yet again. “Thanks for saving me. Again,” I gasp, feeling truly honoured to have such a great friend. He smiles back slightly, obviously in a lot of pain. “Don’t get used to it,” he croaks, punching my arm playfully with his good arm. Well. Less damaged arm. I laugh back, and realise, that for the first time this since this evening, the rain has stopped. We’re broken and battered, and probably at the verge of pneumonia, but at least we might be okay. We sit in silence as the sun rises, and the children of the forest run free.