Epilogue

Eventually, we’re found. Our parents had called the police, who’ve apparently been searching the area looking for Dieter. Just when we were sure we'd die, a rescue helicopter descended like a gift from God. We were flown to hospital in Kiel. It was really scary, because everyone was talking in German, even Dieter, and I had no idea what anyone was saying. Dieter had an operation to correct his arm, and it turns out he’d fractured his leg too. I got my head stitched up, and they managed to save my feet, which is a sheer miracle. We were lucky we never developed pneumonia, and got off lightly with the flu, because otherwise we wouldn’t have survived.

We moved from the area, along with Dieter and his family, who, by the way, came and thanked me for finding their son. They moved back to Düsseldorf, but we’re going to keep in touch. We also had to move away. I never said anything about the Slenderman. I made out that we went off exploring and got lost. As for the broken glass in my house, I just said that I’d got angry and smashed it. Somehow they believed me.

I’m never going to forget what happened. It’s going to stay with me forever, I can tell. Let me give you some advice. If you ever come across The Slenderman, don't be curious like I was. Hear any strange sounds? See anything peculiar in the woods? Just run, run and don't look back. Don't let him lure you into the same trap we fell for. We managed to set the children free, but who knows where he might appear next?