Time is a social construct.

"Severus, do you think that it is too early for me to retire and go to an old people's home?" A deep chuckle echoed through the classroom as he shook his head to disagree.

"Look, it is the 9th of January and as you won't let me forget my birthday. You cannot leave me on my 'special day'. Besides, you have only worked at Hogwarts for what? 16 or 17 months. Not long enough. You need to suffer for at least twice that if not more." It was her turn to laugh at his response but she kept thinking about the two of them.

"We have just had our first anniversary. That is crazy. I mean, it feels like yesterday I had told you that I gave up." 'Though we haven't slept together. I have only ever slept on that blasted armchair with you.' She mentally added with a major tone of annoyance.

"We have spent a lot of time together." His thoughts lingered over the past few months that they had been together.

"Anyway, I have a bed to get to." His thoughts were interrupted by the dainty voice but he nodded feeling the same way also as he released an exhausted yawn from his thin lips. The clock chimed and Severus stood and left taking a similar path to Athena. The night was cold as snow threw itself down on any available surface that there was. The castle was under an attack of frozen water but the walls were too strong to be affected in any way.

The next morning brought even more snow down with every waking moment as the snow had managed to reach knee height on Albus. The snow was dangerous and the temperature was so low that poor Poppy had used all of her warming potions meaning that Athena had to make as many as she could, as quickly as she could. The potion itself wasn't all that difficult and the process was quick and the repetitiveness made a rhythm within her and three hours had been spent making the potion as lessons had been cancelled to allow students to remain in their warm common rooms. Severus had been marking work for the three hours and had finished in time to see her return from Poppy having made enough potions for every student plus some which was too many, even for Poppy to handle. "You made a lot of potions. Luckily, those are simple ingredients and we have plenty of them." Her nod was exact then she sat on his lap.

"So, what is the plan for today?" Athena had noticed that Severus seemed to have almost settled with her as he kissed with less passion as the year progressed and he even relaxed his attention towards her. This she wasn't all that keen on but didn't say anything as she feared the answer of him thinking that he had her best interests at heart.

"I couldn't care less about all that shit." Her mumble was quiet but Snape heard it. "No, sorry I was talking to myself. I do care about what you said, I just didn't care about something I had been thinking about." He quirked a smile and kissed her lips deeply but it was almost as if he felt obliged to, that wasn't going to just pass by.

"Do feel obliged to kiss me?" He opened his eyes a fraction wider then all signs of emotions disappeared.

"No, I just. I don't know, I suppose." She looked down as her shoulders slumped a little and she nodded her head.

"You want a break. That's fine. I mean, better to end it than be miserable. You know if you had just told me I would have been able to handle it." He nodded and looked almost distracted. "Well, you should know that I am still here as a friend, so don't be afraid to come and talk to me if you are struggling." Athena left his lap almost kissing his forehead but deciding against it and walking from the room. Severus felt cold as she left the room. He did care for her but his emotions were so confusing that he needed to just be able to think about it all clearly.

'Was I just accepting the first person? No, I could have gone for someone earlier but I chose her.' His thoughts whirled in his head as he pondered the girl.