Near, far, where ever thou art.

Christmas had come and gone as they all celebrated in their own way. Athena had found Severus drunk in his office but decided to leave him as she shouldn't have been carrying anything heavier than a regular chair. The cold air was seeping into the castle gradually as the days went on but it was far warmer than the year before. "Not even a year ago I was telling you about Snape telling me that he no longer wanted me." Minerva looked on at the girl on the sofa and nodded.

"You were only with him for a few months." Athena nodded but they both knew that it still hurt.

"Anyway, that never happened. Why are you not with Horace?" Minerva shrugged vaguely.

"We have decided to move in together and we are all ready but no house has been found for us yet." Athena nodded and sipped at the hot beverage. Both talked about anything that they could think of for a few hours before they decided to head for bed. The corridors sent chills down her entire body until she had reached her goal.

"You changed your password." Athena quirked a brow and nodded once.

"You promised to leave me alone." A small laugh was sounded and the regret was almost palpable.

"Miss Lavender, ten points from Slytherin and a detention with Filch on our first day back." She stood defeated and left with her shoulders hung low.

"The old Severus would have already known that she was there." He gruffly made a response and they walked into her room together. "How may I help you?" She set her bag on the desk and drank a potion from a nearby shelf.

"I want to be able to at least provide a type of support. I know that the baby..." He was stopped when she gave a quizzical look at him.

"What do you mean? Why would you give support to my baby?" Her look was obviously believable as he watched her nervously.

"What have you done?" His voice was low and Athena almost felt guilty but knew if she didn't then she wouldn't survive mentally.

"I have done nothing. I mean aside from the man from the pub but I do not think you meant that." Severus began to get nervous as the words were sounded and she could tell. "I am sorry but I believe that it is late and you should go. We can plan the lessons tomorrow. Don't worry I will pretend that whatever this is didn't happen." She sounded too believable as he left.

When the door was practically closed he heard a soft sob escape her and he poked his head around the corner. Her face was in her hands and salty water dropped onto the floor. "Severus." It was a hushed sound but he could still hear it. She seemed to almost be pleading but came to her senses and wiped her eyes whilst clutching the baby.

"Athena." He too seemed to be singing a lullaby. "I love you, Athena." He had closed the door and walked up to her. Her eyes looked to fight but she stood tall so he knew that her words were going to hurt

"I forgive, but I also learn a lesson. I won't hate you, but I'll never get close enough for you to hurt me again. I won't let my forgiveness become foolishness -Tony Gaskin." He looked almost startled by the wisdom that she held in her.

"Don't say that. I am sorry." His voice wasn't demanding but low and quiet.

"I have told you before. Apologies aren't good enough when you keep doing what you are sorry for." He felt that similar echo of her voice from just before they had finally truly reached their relationship. "Just go Severus." He didn't budge but instead stared at her with a broken face.

"I will do anything for those I love." He stated it almost proudly but realised his mistake as she let a tear fall.

"Well, obviously you don't love me. Lying gets you nowhere but trouble, Severus." He didn't let her move far from him as his strong arms wrapped around her.