Chapter 21 - The Game

The boys on the soccer team were getting ready beside the bleachers while the girls soccer game was on. Cole was looking around the bleachers but didn't see Peter or the guy looking for him. The whistle blew for the girls' game so the boys stepped onto the field and brought their bags over to the other side. Cole looked over at their opponents and of course they were wearing black jerseys. "Stiles," Cole whispered.

"What?"

"They're wearing black," Cole said.

"Of course the home opener," Stiles sighed. "You know when it's going to happen so give me a signal before it does."

"What's that going to do? I'll just move out of the way. I don't think I'm very worried to be honest." Cole said. It was really what he thought.

"I'm worried!" Stiles shouted.

"Stilinski! Shut it! Get your head in the game," Coach shouted.

"Listen, don't be worried, okay? I've got this covered," Cole reassured him as the ref blew the whistle.

"Captains!" He shouted and Cole jogged over for the coin toss. The ref blew the whistle to start the game and the boys took their places on the field and the game started.

At half time the game was 0-0 and Coach Finstock was mad. He sent them back on the field fired up and ready to go. The kick off started and the ball was passed to Stiles, he lobbed the ball over to Cole and he began to take the ball down the field. He looked over and saw Stiles in the box and knew what was about to happen. He deaked out his defender and crossed the ball into the box and Stiles headed it in the top corner. Stiles celebrated and ran towards Cole, Cole instantly turned around and looked around the bleachers when out of nowhere a knife went flying towards him and he caught it seconds before it pierced his chest.

"Holy shit!" Cole shouted. The ref ran towards him and took the knife from his hands and ran to the coaches.

"Spinner, you okay?" Coach Finstock asked from across the field.

"Yeah," Cole shouted back. Stiles was beside him now and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Can you play?" Coach asked.

"Yes," Cole replied.

"Okay then lets continue," Coach said to the ref.

"Can you just keep an eye out?" The ref said running over to his linesman and he nodded in response. The ref blew his whistle to continue the game and Beacon Hills was up 1-0. Cole began to calm down and continued the game. The other team were able to break through Beacon Hills' defense and scored a goal to tie it up. In the last five minutes of the game Coach took off Stiles and put Scott on. Scott got the ball and ran down the right side of the field, Cole made his way into the box and Scott crossed the ball into the box. Cole jumped up and bicycle kicked the ball and the ball soared into the top right corner of the net Scott ran towards him and hugged him. Once he let him go he heard three quick gunshots and then a huge amount of pain in the back of his left shoulder. He screamed as he saw three bullets fly through the front of his shoulder.

"Cole!" Scott shouted and caught him before he fell and slowly lowered him to the ground and tore off his shirt. The ref blew the whistle to end the game and everyone rushed towards Cole. Cole couldn't stop screaming. Melissa ran to him to help. "He got shot from behind and they went right through!" Scott shouted. Cole was in so much pain. He saw Ethan push through the crowd and crouched down beside him. Someone called an ambulance and Cole fought to keep his eyes open and he did as Melissa told him to. Scott kept pressure on his shoulder and squeezed it between his thigh and his hands. Cole clenched his teeth and breathed through his closed teeth loudly. Someone in a mask pushed through the crowd quickly and pulled his gun from his jacket.

"EVERYONE BACK AWAY FROM HIM NOW!" The man shouted pointing the gun at Cole and everyone backed up. "Stand up!" He shouted at Cole. Cole propped himself up with his right arm and he became really dizzy and slowly stood up. He looked down at his blood stained chest and thought he was going to die.

"Please," Cole felt his eyes water. "Please don't kill me." The man laughed and stepped towards him. Scott moved towards him and the man quickly put the gun underneath his chin.

"Don't even think about it," The man said sternly looking at Scott. "I will blow his brains out and don't test me because you all know I will."

"What do you want?" Melissa asked as her voice was shaking.

"What I want is for this boy to be dead," The man said and he took a step forward towards Melissa but still kept the gun on his chin. Cole thought that it was now or never so he grabbed the man's arm and it was a fight over the gun. He grabbed the man's wrist with his left hand and kicked his foot through the man's elbow and it snapped, he dropped the gun and sheriff Stilinski came running and an ambulance pulled up and Scott caught Cole as he fell and everything went black.