《Chapter 28》

Oml, sorry for not updating as often as I usually do - since I'm actually following the storyline for this part I keep forgetting what's happening so I've been reading other ffs based around the whole Morro thing.

Also, I'm sobbing because oml the support I get for my writing from Melayna is just, omg!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭💓💓💓💓💓💓💓

Cole stalked away into the store with tense shoulders and my disheartened gaze fell to the floor. No sign of our Lloyd?

"What happened to Cole?" I asked, looking up and around the group.

Jay answered for me, "Turned into a ghost while trying to get the scroll." He informed.

Before I could question any further, Wu and Garmadon made their way out of Steep Wisdom and towards us, grim expressions adorning their faces.

Misako instantly shared a sorrowful embrace with her husband for their possessed son.

"We mustn't let Cole's situation shatter the team's resolve." Garmadon mumbled over his wife's head. "You haven't yet lost, we're still in this race. So we might be a day behind Morro,"

I supressed tears at the mention of the ghost's name, placing a hand over the cut on my ribcage.

"That does not mean that gives you Ninja an excuse to slack off." He continued, to which Jay responded with an exasperated sound.

Typical Jay.

"Garmadon is right," Wu gave a nod of agreement, his eyes tired and weary. "No time to rest, you must get changed into your new gis-" How many gis do they need?! "-and learn Airjutzu as soon as possible. Come Ninja, well board the Bounty and get her ready for air." He turned to Garmadon, Misako and I, "can one of you please get Cole?"

"I'll do it," I offered in a small voice as the couple parted.

I slowly staggered into Steep Wisom, walking down the hallway until I reached a closed door.

I hesitated, sighing before nodding. Why am I hesitating? It's still Cole. Sweet, dorky, childish Cole. I nodded again, knocking on the wood of the barrier between the two of us.

There was no answer. I sighed, slowly opening the door and stepping in.

Cole slouched on the couch, glaring at his green, transparent hands. My heart ached for him. It was one thing to be turned into a ghost, but another thing entirely to be turned into a ghost as well as lose one of your best friends and powers to a ghost all in the same week.

"Hey Cole," I said softly, walking over to take a seat next to him.

He looked up at me, something along the lines of desperation and frustration in his coffee roasted coloured eyes.

He audibly sighed through his nose, turning his gaze back to his hands, not answering.

We sat in silence for a few moments before he spoke up.

"Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it," Cole said softly, sadly, and I turned my head to look at him. "Saving Ninjago... We put our lives on the line all the time, but the public still hate us with our masks off. I don't really care about the glory, but any sort of break, some appreciation or praise would be great."

I wasn't cut out for this. I couldn't find the words to comfort him.

Lloyd would know what to say. He always knew what to say. He was everyone's shoulder to cry on when they needed him, even when he didn't think they liked him.

He was always there for everyone. And now he was gone.

I sighed. I'll do my best, because I can't let Lloyd's team shatter. It'll destroy him when he comes back...

If he comes back...

I turned to face Cole fully, crossing my legs and leaning closer to him. "Of course it's worth it, Cole!" I said as he dropped his hands into his lap and turned to look at me. "Ninjago City stands today because of the Ninja, because of you guys. The people here thrive because of you guys. The kids here can play outside and have a childhood like you did because of you guys. I get it, not everyone appreciates you outside of your gis, and that's fucking frustrating, but you will never ever be able to have everyone like you. There are always people who will dislike you, always. I guarantee it. But don't focus on the bad - don't look at the trees, look at the forest. Don't look at the people who don't support you. Look at the whole city - the buildings that stand, the trees and other plants that grow, the people that can live fairly normal lives here, and the people who do appreciate and support you. Even the littlest insects can thrive here. The whole city is standing because of you guys. Yeah, not everyone in this city appreciates you, but everyone in this city needs you."

Cole blinked at me, taken aback. He opened his mouth to respond, but paused before closing it. He nodded, showing me a small smile.

"Thank you, Y/N." He said softly and I smiled in teturn, shrugging a shoulder.

"What're friends for?" I said, smiling. His grin grew when I said the word 'friends'.

"You'd make a great Ninja," he lighed lightly, "if you had powers, that is."

I blinked, grinning at him.

HA, oblivious fool.

"Speaking of which," said Misako as she poked her head in, interupting me before I could respond.

We turned to look at her and I grinned, happy that I'd cheered Cole up, as well as ha the irony of his comment.

"Hm?" Cole hummed in confusion, "Speaking of what?"

Misako and I shared an amused smile.

"Well, Y/N," she said, placing a hand on her cocked hip. Remember how I said you couldn't be a Ninja just because you found out their secret identities?"

I nodded, confused. "Yeaaaah?"

"Well," she paused, smirking as she eyed my confused self. "Maybe I was wrong to say that."