iv

third person p.o.v.

What was your biggest regret in your life?

Dokyeom had been staring at the empty sheet of paper in front of him for almost half an hour now. It was a question given by his Philosophy teacher as one of their final requirements for the first semester. Today was his first day as a third year college student, and Dokyeom already feels drained. Nothing comes to his mind despite how hard he's trying to think of an answer for this question. The requirement is due next week but Dokyeom wants it done as soon as possible. However, that won't be possible since he's having a mental block right now.

The question wasn't situational, nor a question needing a deep analysis, which was the usual topic tackled in every Philosophy class. Dokyeom thought he'd finish this requirement quick, using metaphorical words, those with deep meanings, and all his skills in poetry. But as soon as he laid his eyes on the questionnaire, all the knowledge of literary arts vanished into thin air. It was as if the question was a magic spell of forgetfulness.

But in reality, the problem mostly relies on Dokyeom. It wasn't because he cannot answer the question, it was because he does not want to, or because he does not know what to answer. He had so many regrets in life, and which of those would be the biggest one is the problem Dokyeom is having at this moment.

"Seokmin-ah? Wow, is that you?"

Time seemed to stop at that moment when he heard the voice he's been longing for years. He looked up from his paper, and was hit by a huge wave of nostalgia. Memories from the past flooded his mind, and all the feelings and emotions he had kept at the bottom of his heart exploded as soon as he laid his eyes on the most beautiful piece of art he had ever seen in his life. This masterpiece in front of him, was the best and worst thing that happened to him.

"It is you!" the man exclaimed, as he took the seat across Dokyeom's. "Mind if I join you?"

Dokyeom shook his head and forced a smile. How long has it been since he last had a glimpse of that beautiful face? How long has it been since that soothing voice rang in his ears, like a soft melody in the night? Dokyeom remembers the answer to those questions. Two years. Two years had passed since the day when all the colours in his life faded into gray, along with the man in front of him. But as he stared at the man's face, Dokyeom could see that this masterpiece had regained its true colours, those radiating his inner beauty and perfection. The new artist he met must be one of the best, since he glowed brighter than he ever had when he was with Dokyeom.

"I missed you," the man smiled at him, and Dokyeom could feel the invisible barrier he had created to protect his heart melting. "How long has it been?"

"Two years," Dokyeom's voice nearly cracked. "I see that you cut your hair. It's no longer long and blonde. Are you perhaps starting a new life, Jeonghan hyung?"

"It has never ended, Seok-ah," Jeonghan smiled again. "Maybe I'm creating a new chapter of my own story. And yeah, I kind of like the advantages of having a short hair like a normal guy. Pink is a cute colour, too!"

Hearing Jeonghan's voice made Dokyeom feel better. For two years, he had live his life thinking of how much pain he left for the older to suffer and hearing how joyful Jeonghan sounded as he talked, Dokyeom knew that the former is in a better situation right now. Happiness is evident in the older's face too, and Dokyeom felt a slash of pain in his heart thinking that he once took that away from Jeonghan. For the first time in two years, he became the vulnerable person he once had been.

"It suits you," it really does. "But I never thought you liked pink. You always liked your hair blonde or ash. But everything change, don't they?"

"Ah, they do. But some remains, you know?" Jeonghan took a sip from his green tea, his favourite drink. "I don't like pink, but as you said it suits me, and I want some change so I tried it. Jihoon wanted me to dye my hair, too."

All the pain in his heart vanished quickly when he heard the familiar name Jeonghan had mentioned, and it was replaced with shock and worry.

"Jihoon?" Dokyeom asked, each syllable was said slowly, a tone he always use whenever he ask for confirmation from anyone.

Jeonghan smiled, which was a bit different from the smile he showed before. This smile radiates genuine happiness, and Dokyeom could feel the pain coming back from the depths of his heart.

"Lee Jihoon," Jeonghan answered, joy was evident in his tone. "He's my boyfriend. That little grump, but the biggest blessing I've had in my life."

Dokyeom laughed halfheartedly. He couldn't believe how playful destiny is. "Lee Jihoon. What a coincidence."

It was funny how this question lead to a fateful meeting with the two of the most important persons in Dokyeom's life.

The chimes clank together, indicating that a new customer entered the café. Sweet fragrance of perfume filled the air, mixing with the smell of caffeine and tea inside the place. Dokyeom need not to look at the person who had just arrived to know who it was. Just the scent of his perfume, Dokyeom already recognised the person. It might have been almost half of his life that he hasn't met this person, but the fragrance he brings with him was still the same when they were kids.

"I knew you would be here," his voice, it had matured over the time, but his height hadn't and Dokyeom knew some things never really change. "I said I was just going to buy something and seconds later, you were gone. That's your fourth cup of green tea, Jeonghan."

"Aw, Jihoonie," Jeonghan stood and pinched the younger's cheeks. "I'm sorry. The café was so inviting that I couldn't help but to be enticed by it, and you know how much I love green tea."

"That tastes like grass, what's so special about it?" Jihoon frowned, which maybe was to show how upset he was but only ended up being cute with that pout.

Jeonghan giggled a bit. "How do you even know what grass tastes like? Besides, if it wasn't for my love of green tea, I wouldn't have stumbled upon Seokmin here."

Jihoon finally looked at Dokyeom, and was as surprised as he is. Five seconds passed by and they just stared at each other, with an unknown feeling in their chests. Was it resentment? Hatred? Guilt? Anger? Longing? Neither of the two knew what it was, but maybe, it was a mixture of different emotions. That, of which result to this unknown feeling that the both of them thought was nothing.

"Seokmin-ah, it was really nice meeting you today," Jeonghan stepped towards him and ruffled his hair. "I wish we could catch up more but we have to be somewhere else. Let's do it next time, okay? I wish this wouldn't be the last."

Dokyeom tore his gaze off Jihoon and stared at Jeonghan instead. "It won't be the last, I promise. Nice to see you too, Jeonghan hyung, Jihoon hyung."

"Ditto," Jihoon answered quietly. "Let's go, Jeonghan-ah?"

Jeonghan smiled at Dokyeom before leaving the café with his fingers intertwined with Jihoon's. Jihoon spared him one last glance before they disappeared out of his sight.

Staring at the path his brother, Lee Jihoon, and former lover, Yoon Jeonghan, had taken, Dokyeom found the answer to his Philosophy question.