Chapter 4

The next day I wake to the same ear shattering whistle. Again, I jump straight up and reach for my knife before I realize where I am. There's no need for a weapon.

I've yet to wash my track suit, so I slept in the other workout gear I packed with me. Once again, I'm ready to go before anybody else is even out of bed. I run another 5 laps, and the General instructs me to wait in the sports hall while the other recruits finish. I have to wait 20 minutes before everybody is back down with me. Of course the last to enter is Harry.

"We're practicing hand-to-hand today." General Sanders informs us all. I feel a hint of anxiety worm it's way into my brain. Every test I passed with flying colours yesterday, but I'm quite aware my strong suit does not lie in combat. At Oxford there weren't many classes where I was given the opportunity to really practice. Obviously, I've not got any real life experience- I don't often start fights out of context. That means I have a weak spot. A weak spot that'll be tested now.

Of course over my years I've learned a few moves here and there, but I'm not sure if I know enough to hold my own against some of these people. They're big, and I get the feeling some of them have been in their fair share of fights.

"First up: Sarah and Mac." the General calls. My eyes widen in shock for a split second. I wasn't aware that girls and boys would be fighting each other. The task seems daunting, but I know it serves a purpose. When I'm an agent out in the field there will be no gender preference for the people trying to kill me. I've got to know how to beat males and females.

Sarah and Mac step into the ring. The rest of us watch from the sidelines. I clasp my hands together and rub harshly, a nervous habit.

Sarah throws a punch, but Mac lunges quickly and wraps his arms around her waist, pinning her to the ground. Her legs flail and she tries to swing at him, but soon his arm is wrapped around her neck and she's tapping out. That barely took Mac 30 seconds, and I feel as if I don't know much more than Sarah. This won't end well.

3 more pairings go on. Luckily, I'm matched with Victoria, not with Adam or one of the other 4 boys besides Mac. Fighting Harry would be unthinkable, and the other 3, though I've yet to remember their names, are pretty buff.

Victoria and I step into the ring. I distance myself from her and try to adjust my stance how they taught me at Oxford. I put my hands up defensively, ready to block any oncoming blows. I wait for a while, but I don't anticipate the kick from the side that Victoria delivers within a fraction of a second. My knee buckles and I cry out in pain, but before she can tackle from the air I roll out of the way and land a solid blow to her stomach.

I hear a hoarse sound escape Victoria- obviously the wind has been knocked out of her. I attempt to get to my feet but she sticks her leg out and trips me. I land on my ass and all I have time to do is throw my hands out in front of me before she's pounced.

Her legs straddle my lap and she places a square blow to my jaw. My ears start to ring and my vision goes hazy. Before I know it her arm is around my neck, squeezing so tight I think I might explode. I tap out before I pass out.

I hear Victoria snicker as she gets up and evacuates the ring, but I don't miss the way she limps and caresses her stomach where I hit her. At least I got in one solid punch.

I pick myself up from the floor of the ring, head held in shame. Now the other recruits know there is something they can beat me at. And when they do beat me at this particular activity it hurts. A lot.

I limp to the side of the ring and Harry is matched with one of the nameless boys. Although the stranger to me must only be an inch under Harry's height, the match seems to end in a blur. I'm not exactly sure what happens, but I see Harry's arm fling out, then his leg, and then he's wrestled the other boy to the ground. His arm is around the boy's throat and Harry's victim is tapping out instantly. What took Mac 30 seconds takes Harry 5.