Chapter 8

The next day we're not woken with a whistle. General Sanders has not barged into the dorm at 5 in the morning to rouse us. Instead, I find I wake up contentedly at 8 in the morning. My shock is palpable. Did I sleep through Sander's whistle? That's impossible, and yet, here I remain in bed.

I shoot up in a panic and look around. Everyone remains soundly asleep in their individual cots. So no one else is up either. At least I've not been left behind. As my eyes come into focus I realize that two cots lay empty- Isla's and Louis'. They must be in the bathroom or the mess hall or something like that.

I don't know whether I should go back to bed or not. Although my body longs for sleep I wonder if General Sanders will be mad that I'm staying in with all the other recruits. But if he hasn't come to fetch us, what is there really to do besides sleep?

I force myself to rest and lay back down. I reason- sleeping will help my leg get better- it serves a purpose. I'm not lounging needlessly- it's quite necessary. With that my eyes drift shut once more and it's another hour and half until I'm up.

I look around as I come to once again. Everyone still sleeps, like me, but Louis and Isla are still missing. I really doubt either of them would spare the extra sleep. Where the hell could they be?

My curiosity consumes me and I venture out of the dorm and into the common area. It's empty. I tip toe to the bathroom. It, too, is completely vacant. Even more confused, I check the mess hall, then the sports hall, then the gym, then the swimming pool. No sign of either Isla or Louis. I even take the trip up onto the field and the track. Neither of them are running laps, but I didn't think they would be. Where the hell could they be if not on base with the rest of us?

I return to the dorm to find that Sarah has woken. Maybe she knows something. As I sit beside her on my own bed, I whisper.

"Where's Isla?"

Sarah seems to notice her friend's absence for the first time and searches lazily around the dorm.

"No idea. Maybe she's getting breakfast."

I shake my head in response.

"She's not on base. I looked everywhere. Louis is gone, too." I inform her. Sarah's brows furrow and she checks the dorm once more.

"I have no idea." She ultimately responds, too tired to give me an explanation. I nod and turn my head away and notice others are starting to rise now. I watch as they all resume the same expression of panic I did when I first woke. When each individual realizes they're not late for training, they lay lazily and drift back to sleep.

"Where's Sanders?" Sarah starts with her own question. I shrug my shoulders. I have no idea why the General didn't come and wake us today when he has every other morning, but I won't question his methods. Maybe he believes we deserve a break after our 'test' yesterday, but I doubt it. Sanders doesn't seem like the caring type.

Soon enough Sarah and I rise and leave the dorm, eager for breakfast. I haven't eaten in nearly 12 hours and my stomach is gnawing at my insides. Once I'm satisfied Sarah and I are left to wonder about the absence of the two of our fellow recruits.

Slowly, more people amble in to eat. Unlike every other day, breakfast has been served at 10, not 6. Surprisingly, Mac takes the seat next to Sarah across from me.

"Good morning!" He greets us, quite chipper at that. I don't stifle my chuckle and smile widely at him.

"Someone's in a good mood." I remark. Mac laughs.

"It's not every day a man gets a full night's sleep." He tells chides, making both Sarah and I giggle. We carry on pleasant conversation for a while and for a time I forget all about Isla and Louis.