Chapter 31

When we finally reach Germany and the base we've been assigned to, the nerves in my stomach reach an all time high. I feel light headed, as though I'm about to pass out at a moments notice. Harry tries to remain strong, but I can see his face has gradually been turning whiter as the minutes tick by.

Of course, Sarah and Mac don't look anything but vengeful and determined. One, because they need to find a way to stop me from blabbing about their attempted murder. Two, because they want to succeed at this mission and beat Harry and I out for spots in MI6.

Little do they know we've never been enrolled in MI6 or any sort of training program. I wish I could just tell them, have them help us stop the imminent war, but I know I can't. Harry and I talked it over. Letting them in on the information I just learned may take a turn for the worse. If they don't believe us and somehow contact the General about our insubordination, Harry and I will be done for before we can stop the missiles from being launched tonight, and I can't let that happen.

So the awkward, tense, and now hostile air is left the way it is as each of us remains in silence. The doors to the van open and immediately Sarah and Mac disembark. Harry and I follow closely after them. This is it. If we fuck this up, we'll simply cease to exist, and so will hundreds of thousands of other people. Great.

I take a deep breath and continue forward. After examining our map back at base, Harry and I decided he would take the south entrance and I'd take the west entrance. Once we're split up, it'll be harder for Sarah and Mac to take us both down. Also, if one of us gets lost the other might still make it to the control panel in time to stop our opposition.

We halt in front of the door that Harry is supposed to enter through for only a second. He takes both my hands in his and stares down into my eyes quite intensely.

"We're going to be fine, Rosy. Everything is going to be fine." He states. I can tell from his forceful tone that he's trying to convince himself more than me of that fact.

"That's not what you said last night." I said, somehow finding it in me to contribute a little humour to the conversation.

"Yeah, alright smart ass. Do you remember the plan?" He questions. I can sense the apprehension he's attempting to hide in his tone. If I didn't know any better, I would say he was almost calm.

"Yes. Get to the control room as soon as possible and try to avoid Sarah and Mac. I'll see you there in 10 minutes, ok?" I tell him. Harry nods quickly and forcefully. I stare up at him for a second, relinquishing in the fact I can still stare at him. After all, if Sarah and Mac take us out before we can get to the control room, it'll be the last time I ever see Harry.

He quickly reaches down and takes my face between his palms before bringing me up to kiss him. The contact doesn't last for long, but I understand how forceful and fretful the act really is. He's afraid that he might never see me again, too.

"Rosy..." Harry starts. I see a far away look in his eyes followed by further apprehension.

"Yes?" I ask quietly while I look up at him, I know we're losing time but I can't bring myself to leave just yet.

"I- It's nothing. Just stay safe. Please." He asks quite desperately. I nod, and without another word take off in the opposite direction. I could feel a very uncomfortable swell starting to take over my chest and I didn't want to stay around for Harry to see me cry. I didn't really want to let myself cry in the first place.

I know it will hurt too much to look back at Harry as he stands, so I run quickly around the corner of the massive complex and towards the west entrance I've decided to take. I don't see Sarah and Mac around and dash inside. The door pops open without resistance. I wonder how the General and the rest of his cronies were able to get this place empty and deserted for so long.