Chapter 4

Payal's POV

I come downstairs after the fight I had with Akash to witness Arnavji ordering MY sister to apologise to Sheetal, who is just a guest. I look at how even the little kid is ordering her around, and no one stops him. They are all looking angrily at my sister. I drop my bags and move towards her to support her, ready to answer any questions our so-called family wants to ask us, when I notice that she is about to faint.

I run towards her, shouting her name, but no one even bothers to catch her as she falls, not even her Arnavji.

Me: Khushi!!!! Wake up.

I start to pat her cheeks gently to wake her up when Arnav comes to carry her. Yes, I stopped calling him with respect when he can't even save his own wife. He tries to pick her up, but now he has tested my patience.

Me (angry): stop!!! how dare you? you don't even care about her, so why are you pretending to care by trying to lift her? you have never shown trust in her, and now when she makes a tiny mistake, you're hurt?! how many times have you shown a lack of trust in her? count it, come on. she has done that once, and that's because of your so-called family who forced her to do it. if they had not compared you and your so-called ex-girlfriend's son, she wouldn't have had to take this big step. I...

No one moves. No one responds. They are all stunned by my outburst, their eyes wide with shock. Arnav stands frozen, his hand still half-raised as if to pick Khushi up. Di, mummy, and the rest of the family stare at me, their mouths slightly open, but no words come out. The only sound in the room is Khushi's faint, labored breathing as she lies on the floor.

I don't care if they are shocked. I don't care if they judge me. I just hold Khushi tighter, feeling her slowly coming back to consciousness. My heart aches for her, and I promise myself that I will protect her, no matter what.

 My heart aches for her, and I promise myself that I will protect her, no matter what

Khushi (weakly): Jiji...what...what are you saying?

Me: Pack your bags... we are leaving, and we will see a doctor on the way.

I order her even though I know she will miss her so called husband but that is for the best for her.

Mamiji: Khun bhari taang, where is you going? And how do you learns Englishhee? (Payal, where are you going and how did you learn English?)

That's it, I'm done with this woman.

Me - just shut up, ok...

Akash (interrupting, angry): Don't talk to my mum like that, and don't forget she is your mother-in-law. Is this what your parents taught you?

Me (fury blazing in her eyes): That's it! First of all, my name isn't Khun Bhari Taang; it's Payal. If you can't call me that, then don't insult me. Secondly, she is not my mother-in-law anymore because I am divorcing you. Yes, you heard me, divorce. And don't you dare talk about my parents? They have taught me more manners than your family could ever understand. I have kept quiet for too long, but not anymore. You have manhandled me. Is this your idea of respect? I trusted you, and you betrayed me. Now listen up, you b****, I married you for love, but you? You're a disgrace. I learned English to become independent, but you want me to remain your submissive puppet. Well, guess what? I am done being your doormat.

As I was about to continue, a sharp slap stung my face, making my blood boil even more. I looked up, seething, and saw it was my so-called sister-in-law.

Anjali: How dare you!!! GET OUT!! Now.

Sheetal: Yes, leave and don't come back, you little b***.

Arnav - Take your useless sister with you as she doesn't deserve my love nor do you deserve Akash's.

I stand my ground, my voice shaking with rage and dominance. Not wanting to waste another second with these toxic people, I turn to Khushi, who looks at me with wide, tear-filled eyes, her gaze filled with both sorrow and accusation as she glances at Arnav. Holding her tightly, I lead her away from this house of horrors, determined to protect her from these heartless individuals.

What will happen now?

Does Arnav deserve Khushi?

What happens to Khushi?

Did Payal do right?