Chapter 17

Payal's POV continues

As soon as Nanheji returns, we prepare to leave, uncertain about where we will go. The silence in the room is thick with anxiety.

Nanheji breaks it, "Payalji and Khushiji, where are you going?"

I decided it was best to be honest and tell him everything. His anger visibly rises as I recount how Khushi fainted and Arnav did nothing to help. Just as he is about to yell, Lavanya gently holds his hand, calming him. I continue, explaining the hurtful conversation we overheard between Amma and Bauji and the mysterious force that compels them to care for us. His anger shifts to worry.

"Payalji and Khushiji, you are coming with us," Nanheji declares firmly.

"No! I can't do that," I respond, surprised.

Khushi, equally surprised, adds, "No, Nanheji, you already paid for the hospital bills. You've done enough..." Her voice trails off, weak.

I interrupt, "Yes, Nanheji, you've done so much already. How will we ever repay you?"

Nanheji's expression turns to one of hurt and anger. "How could you think of me like that? Am I not your friend? You don't have to repay me at all. My money is your money. I was your friend before I became your devar. Please, on that friendship, accept to live with us. Lavanya and I would love it. Trust us, we will take good care of the children. I promise nothing will happen to you, and we can find the best doctors for Khushiji. Please."

Tears fill my eyes. When our own parents—our foster parents—turned their backs on us, this friend stepped forward to help us, knowing we couldn't repay him.

I glance at Khushi, already hugging Nanheji and Lavanya.

"Won't you let me join the hug?" I ask, smiling through my tears.

They welcome me into the embrace, and we all stand there, holding each o

Khushi's POV

Pretend it's nighttime

Nanheji apologizes, "Sorry, Khushiji and Payalji. The house isn't as big as RM, but we plan to move to Mumbai later and will buy a bigger house."

"Nanheji, at least your heart is bigger than those people in RM," Jiji say, surprising me with the bitterness in her voice. The old her never spoke ill of anyone, especially my in-laws.

"Nanheji, your house is really big, but can we go inside?" I ask.

I've been dying to ask him something. Once inside, I turn to him. "Nanheji, how do you know Lavanyaji? What relationship do you have with her?"

Nanheji looks at Lavanyaji for permission. Seeing her worried face, he turns back to us. "I will tell you later... please, let's rest... it's already 3 am. Khushiji, your room is on the left while Payalji, your room is on the right. As for me and Lavanya, I'll sleep on the sofa while Lavanya can sleep in the room opposite me."

"Me and Khushi will share a room," Jiji insists. "We've always shared rooms, so it's ok."

Not wanting to hear any arguments from Nanheji, I drag Jiji to the room and fall asleep hugging her.

So how is the chapter?

Will Khushi and Payal find out who are their real parents?

What relationship do Lavanya and Nk hold?