The Shocking Truth

Clover's POV:

After talking to Oliver for a while I decided to go to bed. I walked into the living room to find Will pouring over several opened books. "I'm gonna get ready for bed. I'm sorry I didn't help you much today. I promise I'll help you more tomorrow." I said, feeling guilty. "Oh, it's okay. Don't worry about it." He said with a soft look in his beautiful brown eyes. "Don't stay up too late, okay?" I said, and he nodded in response. I didn't want him to waste away tonight, because he wouldn't have any energy to continue his work in the morning. He hugged me goodnight and I went into my room to change. Even as I climbed into bed and pulled the covers over my body, I knew I wouldn't get much sleep even if I was exhausted. 'At least it's the weekend, Clover. You don't have to go into work until Monday.' I said inside of my head as I snuggled into the covers a bit. It felt like hours and hours went by as I just laid there awake. Suddenly, the sound of my door opening caught my attention. I just pretended like I didn't hear anything though, because I figured it was probably Oliver checking on me. But when the door closed, I heard footsteps coming towards the bed. 'I hope it isn't some murderer.' I thought inside of my head. 'You watch too many crime shows.' My subconscious replied to my thoughts. I felt the bed go down as someone laid down beside of me. "Clover, I don't know If you can hear me, but.... I overheard your conversation with Oliver." He whispered, and I felt embarrassment wash over me. 'I guess those footsteps really weren't a part of my imagination.' I thought inside of my head as I turned to face him. He sat up, and I could tell he was kinda surprised that I was awake. "You did?" I asked him, just to make sure I heard him right. "Yeah, I did." He replied as he sat up and I did the same. The moonlight that filtered through the window cast a blueish sort of glow in the room, so it was easy to see each other. "Did you hear everything?" I asked him, feeling nervous. He nodded to let me know that he had, and my heart sort of sank. "Listen, I just want to let you know that it's okay. You shouldn't be ashamed or feel guilty for having feelings for me. The heart is a strange thing that you can't control." He said sweetly as he wrapped his arms around me. I wrapped my arms around him and snuggled into his chest. Breathing in his wonderful scent made me relax a bit, but I still felt nervous. I just hoped that he wasn't gonna give up on Evelyn. "I still feel guilty though. It's just... the way it is." I said as we broke the hug slightly. He gently placed one of his hands on the side of my face and stroked my cheek lovingly with his thumb. We looked into each other's eyes for what felt like a lifetime before either one of us said or did anything. He started to close the distance between us and he tilted his head to the side slightly. Oh, how I wanted this. I wanted him to kiss me more than anything in the world, but I knew it was wrong. He's married, and I don't want him to cheat on his wife just because I have feelings for him. I felt his warm breath brush against my lips; it was as gentle as a spider's web. Every fiber of my entire being wanted nothing more than for our lips to touch, but knew it was wrong no matter how right it felt. We were centimeters from kissing before I placed my hands on his chest and gently stopped him from leaning in any further. "Why'd you stop me?" He asked in a whisper. "Because you have a wife. I can't let you cheat on her." I replied in a whisper as tears stung my eyes, but I fought them back. "You have a pure heart, Clover. A great big heart full of pure love and kindness. It makes me wanna slap your ex boyfriend into next year." He said. For some odd reason I felt like what just happened was some sort of test. A test to see if I truly loved him, and it sounded like I passed. "You have a pure heart too." I replied softly. "Come here." He whispered softly as he wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead. We cuddled and I ended up falling asleep right in his arms. I woke up with a pair of arms wrapped around me, and my heart melted when I realized that it was Will's arms. I rubbed sleep from my eyes and rolled over to see that he was already awake. "How long have you been up?" I asked him curiously as I stretched slightly. "About a half hour." He replied like it was nothing. "You didn't have to wait until I woke up. You could have went ahead and done whatever." I said, but I couldn't help the smile that was on my face. "Well, I tried but you ended up snuggling closer to me when I tried getting up. I didn't have the heart to wake you; you looked so darn cute." He said with a sweet smile on his face and a sparkle in his big brown eyes. I blushed and giggled at his words, and it made him smile. "Come on, let's get ready and get something to eat for breakfast." He said, and I agreed with him. To my relief Oliver was still sleeping. I didn't want him to get any ideas if he saw Will coming out of my room. He volunteered to cook breakfast and I ended up helping him even though he said I didn't have to. Oliver came into the room looking like death warmed over. His pajamas were crooked and wrinkled, his hair was all messed up, and his eyes were still half closed. "I smelled bacon." He said, and we laughed. Somehow something clicked back into place between us all, and it felt nice to be a little family again. I poured us each a nice cup of coffee while Will finished up cooking. Oliver and I were talking about the lovely weather. It really was a perfect September day. The sun was a lovely golden color, the sky was a bright blue, and a few fluffy white clouds passed through every once in a while. The feeling of my phone buzzing broke through the magical morning I was enjoying, but it didn't ruin my high spirits.