𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

On his twelfth birthday, Jeremy Heere decided to have his first birthday party. In previous years he had prefered to just eat some cake with his parents and see if his best friend, Michael Mell, the 12 year old video game loving kid he had met on the first day of kindergarten, would be able to spend the night. This year felt different to him. He was in the sixth grade now. At his school, sixth grade was when you moved to the junior high wing. This year was the year you reputation started to matter.

Jeremy had always been one of those kids who valued the way others looked at him. It was in his DNA to be a people pleaser, which was why he got nervous around the so called popular kids. He got nervous around pretty much everyone though, and didn't like meeting new people. That was why his teachers always let him and Michael partner up. Sure, they goofed off a bit, but they always completed the work... That and it was found out early on that if Jeremy were to partner up with someone other than his best friend who he trusted, it would most likely result in a breakdown, and Jeremy being sent to the nurse.

All though it was never spoken of, even in the early grades there were always the popular kids. It was like in the first 4 years of school you would be stamped with a nearly irreversible trademark that would permanently place you in the social hierarchy for the rest of your years of public schooling and the only way out of it was to get a complete makeover during summer vacation, move, or do something that impresses or irritates classmates enough to which your social status does a 180.

Lucky for Jeremy, the kindergarten mistake he made that gave him his label for the next 14 years occurred when he couldn't hit the wiffle ball in gym class. Instead of sloppily shrugging and rejoining the line he burst into tears, threw the plastic bat and ran to the only kid he knew well enough to trust, Michael, engulfing him in a hug as he sobbed.

He still had the nicknames cry baby and wiffle whiner.

He attempted to look on the bright side. At least he wasn't the kid in the grade above him who threw the printer at Ms. G in second grade.

Besides, this year he was going to change that. This year he was going to be cool! He told Michael about his plan to have the best birthday party ever, and become one of the coolest and most popular boys in the whole entire sixth grade! Once he was cool he promised that he would get the other cool kids to like Michael, so they could both walk the halls without taunts or torture.

Besides, he kinda owed Michael considering Michael's trademark happened to be his fault. They were at lunch in third grade, with assigned seats because the third and fourth grade, who shared a lunch and recess had been too loud the previous day. Just their luck, and totally not because the teachers feared Jeremy would throw a fit, the best friends were allowed to sit next to each other.

The issue was they were sitting next to the current cool kids, Chloe, Brooke, Madeline, Jake, Jared, Heather Duke, and Kurt.

They were all talking about how apparently Veronica got in trouble for french kissing some new kid named Jason under the tube slide.

A young Jeremy Heere tilted his head in confusion. "What's french kissing? Is J-jason from France?" he asked, not understanding what it meant.

Chloe tossed her hair, giggling high pitched in amusement. "No it means she kissed him with tongue."

Jeremy looked around, very confused. "What? How does that even work?"

The oldest kid at that table, Jared, smirked down at Jeremy's wide eyes. "I'm assuming you have never been kissed before, kid." He said.

Jeremy thought, tilting his head. "If my mom and dad count then I have..." he said, looking around.

"Figures, who wants to kiss wiffle whiner?" Heather Duke smirked. "Defs not anyone at this table."