Chapter no.12 - Melancholy Flurry

*trigger warning: talk of rape

YOUR POV

      I sat on the edge of Betty's bed, staring at the wall with a blank expression. I don't know exactly how I got back to her house, but I do vaguely remember Betty slowly picking me up from the floor of Kevin's house and walking us home. I don't understand why I'm acting so weird about this, but there is something so off putting about seeing two of your close friends expressing extreme emotion and not knowing how to help them. Betty returned from her shower, she was squeezing the excess water out of her hair, not caring that it was making puddles on the ground. She looked as defeated and shocked as I did. 

    "Lets get some sleep," she spoke weakly. 

    I nodded, my eyes still staring blankly at nothing. 

   Her warm sheets were inviting and comforting, but it took both of us a long time to finally fall asleep.

  Not a word was said during breakfast. The silence continued until Betty and I got into the car.

    "I'm going to skip first period to talk to Veronica, she was with Cheryl last night. Wanna come?" Betty asked and looked me in the eye.

     "Yes," I answered without hesitation. She smiled back at me and then let her eyes wander to the window.

   I've never skipped a class before, so I wasn't really sure how this was going to work, but I trusted Betty knew what she was doing. Betty instructed me to follow her to an empty classroom and there we saw a very tired looking Veronica. Betty didn't hesitate to embrace Veronica. Once they pulled away Veronica smiled softly at Betty and then at me.

   "So, do you know that old friend of mine, Nick St. Clair?" Veronica began with a question. Betty nodded, I had no idea who he was, but I didn't ask.

   "H-he tried to r-rape Cheryl last night," Veronica choked out and looked broken. In that moment my whole heart shattered for Cheryl. I heard a faint 'oh my God' escape Betty's lips.

   "Archie walked in on it and pulled Nick off her. He then beat him, really, really bad. Um, Cheryl isn't here today, she is taking the day to recover," Veronica finished with tears in her eyes.

   "Is anything going to be done about Nick?" Betty questioned, started get angry thinking about him.

   Veronica reluctantly shook her head, "his family is too powerful and rich,".

   My face twisted into a disgusted expression, I was disturbed and angry, but mostly I felt pain and sympathy for Cheryl. Without telling me, the pair of best friends started to leave the room. I watched them leave, but my feet didn't go with them. The window where I was standing clouded with the start of a snow flurry. I tried to settle my heavy breathing.

   "I didn't take you as someone to skip class,"

   "Huh, oh, hey!" I turned around to see Toni standing in the door frame. 

    "You okay?"She inquired softly as she walked towards me.

    "I am so disturbed about what happened to Cheryl, you know?" I huffed and looked down.

    "Yeah, it's fucked up," She responded, now standing right next to me.

    "No one is going to be in the mood to go to the play tonight now," she mentioned.

   "Oh, yeah, you're right," I totally forgot about the play being tonight.

   "Are you still going to go?"

  "I honestly don't know,"

  "Go for me?" She looked up at me.

  "What do you mean?" I answered with a question.

  "You didn't know I'm in the play? Wow!" She laughed.

  "No! I had no idea! I'm impressed, Topaz," I exclaimed and smiled wide.

  "Yes, ma'am!" She responded with her hands on her hips.

  "Well, now I have to go!" I said and looked at her, she was wearing a goofy smile. Just then the first period bell rang.

  "See you there," She winked and left the classroom.

  I returned my gaze to the window. Nothing could possibly express how bad I felt for Cheryl, but maybe today wouldn't be so bad.

a/n

yikes i know this is short but that is because this chapter and the next are going to be like two-part chapters so think of this as part one. so so sorry for the long break. i just started school so i was very busy getting ready for school. i will now try to post every weekend! i missed you guys haha . thank you so much for 7k views, woowoowowo! 

- kendall