Chapter no.24 - Brutality

YOUR POV

YOUR POV

"I know,".

Betty responded quickly after my explanation of the Dilton situation and all of my crazy conspiracies. She stared at me, like I should have already guessed she knew about it. I honestly should have figured that out, she always knows everything.

"We're already on the case!" Betty cheers and grabs Jughead by his shirt collar and hugs him.

"Oh," is all I can muster.

I wanted to do this case with her. Like the Archie case, but this time I'd do better and work harder. Maybe she just doesn't think I have what it takes, I should move on and let them handle it. Yet, it still bothers me. She always picks Jug for her investigation fiascoes and never me. Who was there for her all of last year the most? Me. Who stayed up with her every night when she was too scared to sleep because she didn't want to see the Black Hood in her dreams? Me. I wanted so badly to speak up and bring my feeling to her attention, but I tripped over my words before I could even open my mouth. Man, I am so bad at expressing my feelings. I decide to just leave it, and let the Romeo and Juliet of murder investigations do what they do best. Quickly, I pull my mouth into a lazy smile and walk away, defeat now taking the spot of the ambition in my heart.

Luckily, the first few periods fly by and it's time for lunch. I smile to myself as I head to the lounge. I did not miss school over the summer, but I for sure missed the lounge. Though there were heated arguments and moments in which people fled the room crying, those instances were nothing compared to the many hype sessions before the football games, the times where we would laugh until we couldn't breathe, and the genuine, wholesome conversations with good people. The red love-seat welcomes me like an old friend. To my surprise, I was not the first in the lounge; Toni was. Her intriguing eyes watched me as I sat down and eventually noticed her sitting across from me. She was wearing her serpent jacket, a blue t-shirt under, and a green plaid skirt with fishnets. I noticed every sparkle on her studded belt and how the ceiling light made her clear lip gloss glow.

"Welcome back to the joy of crappy education and pointless teen drama!" She broke the silence and flashed a mesmerizing smile.

I used more energy than normal to conjure a small laugh. She noticed. Instantly.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"You've heard about Doiley, right?", She nods.

"It sucks, we just saw him a few days ago at Cheryl's party, and now he's just gone," I explain only one half of why I'm feeling blue, I still feel guilty for feeling betrayed by Betty.