Chapter 22: Meeting

Alleacia:

I stared wide-eyed at the lithe runner gasping for air at my feet. It wasn't so much the fact that he was here – as I'm sure we got messages in and out all the time, we had to stay informed somehow –but rather the way he came in. Bursting through the front doors like an attacker and then collapsing in front of me when I go rushing to greet or attack the person at the door. His violent and unexpected arrival caused absolutely everyone to literally stop and drop what they were doing. Now there was food and various other items rolling on the floor. All was silent now; all that was to be heard was his breathing and the thump of a book rolling down the stairs.

"I . . ." He gets out, but takes a moment to breathe again. "I came with news."

That much is clear. I think, but say nothing, in favour of waiting for whatever was so terribly important to be said.

"The king." He says, and everyone's ears perk up to listen. "He's in danger."

Still, the hall stays deathly silent, waiting with bated breath for an explanation. It felt like reading that book and just waiting for the next page to contain that perfect sentence which brings the scene to it's close, but at the same time not wanting that finality. This time, however, we very much wanted that final sentence.

"He's closing in."

"Who? The King?"

"No,not him. Those 'new gen' rebels. His people. News is that he's mobilizing his forces to take down the last obstacle after so many of you went into hiding." He nods to a fewpeople in the room. "He certainly still has his people, but notnearly enough."

"Well I guess that's that then. It's the end and it's over. Let us all rip out our wings and run to earth. At least they aren't run by some horrible dictator." Someone – Cleo I believe – says from some corner.

"Pretty sure some of them are, last time I checked." Leon pipes up.

"Oh hush both of you." Roberta commands, standing dramatically atthe top of the stairs like some sort of watchful Goddess come toguide us mortals. "You're being ridiculous."

"I came faster than I thought I ever could to give you all extratime." The runner boy adds.

"And we are thankful for that." Roberta smile graciously. "Eventhough it may not seem like that right now, I promise you we are. Wewill use this to the best of our ability. Come. You know who you are.Let us assemble."

At that, I turn around quickly, loving the swish of my skirts againstmy legs, and hurry on after her. I ignore the whispers rollingthrough the room as anticipation and unease builds. That was untilsome got on the nasty end.

"Whydo we all have to listen to her? She's not even in my sector andpowerless.A Royal I would listen too. Hell even someone who worked higher up inthe Majesty. But-"

"You will listen to her just as well as you would anyone else." Ispeak over him. "That or risk the wrath of all those who standbehind her. Whichever path you chose is your choice."

He curls his lip at me. "Threatening your fellow allies? Not such asmart move. You might lose them all at this rate."

"Allies I would not threaten. You however, are not one. Spreadinghatred when you don't agree; tinting the whole place with thoseinsults and jabs."

I stride off then, not caring for whatever underhanded comment he hadin store for me. Really and truly, walking out of a room in avoluptuous dress with the skirts swaying to your every step was awhole other feeling. A different level of confidence and drama. Thesort one tries to accomplish on the daily, but is best done in this.I will never understand what caused humans to keep theirshort-sighted and spiteful ways, but get rid of this soft of dailywear. Why keep the fear of change but not have come to wear jeans oneday and a ballgown the next?