Chapter 23

Don't forget to leave a like & comment! I love to hear from you all!

|| ** || ** ||

"You haven't broken or pulled anything, I think landing on it just strained your knee since you haven't really been sliding around when playing softball since you tore your ACL, but you'll be fine in a couple of days. Just try not to walk on it too much for the next two weeks; like no sports or anything like that, okay?" Nurse Debby tells me the rundown and I nod along quietly while sipping from a juice box she had given me. Sebastian stands next to me nodding along, holding out his phone so I can see my mother on FaceTime listening to the Nurse.

"Thank you, Debby, Char I think you should stay home tomorrow just to get some of the swelling down a bit and we can take it from there, okay?" I hear my mother through the speaker, and nod my head in agreement. Sebastian says goodbye to my mom before coming over to help me stand up and limp out the door.

"Thanks, Nurse Debby," I yell over my shoulder that Sebastian is holding up. I open the door and walk out into the hallway. Nathan and Olivia, who ran out of her dance class when she saw Nathan and I go past the room, are leaning against the wall chatting as I come out.

"You're alive!" Olivia rushes over hugging me tightly. I start tipping backward and Sebastian hoists me back to my feet. "Sorry."

"So, what's the verdict?" Nathan asks quietly not moving from the wall.

"Nothing horrible, just strained my knee, I can't run for a few weeks, and I'm staying home tomorrow to get the swelling down," I shrug as best as I can with Sebastian still holding me.

"Fuck, I'm so sorry," he looks at me, guilt written all over his face.

I chuckle a little, "It's not your fault, I wouldn't have played if I didn't want to."

"But I feel like I forced you to play-," I cut him off before he can start rambling.

"Seriously, Nate, it's okay," I smile. He nods his head lightly and bends over carrying mine and Sebastian's bags on top of his own. Olivia has been quiet during the whole exchange, nods her head proudly at Nathan's actions, and walks next to him behind us.

"So, who won?" she asks casually.

"We kicked their asses!" Sebastian yells out into the empty hallway and I laugh loudly fist-bumping him.

"At least you didn't get hurt for nothing," Olivia chirps happily, looking at the bright side of things.

"I had no idea any of you guys could play the way you did, I'm going to have to have a chat with Coach about start teams next semester, and Char you are a fucking good player," Nathan shakes his head with a smirk.

"Well as long as you guys can beat Westview, then we're good," Olivia states, somewhat trying to change the touchy subject of my short-lived softball career, only to bring a completely new topic I wanted to avoid even more. I widen my eyes and shake my head vigorously at her, she smiles sheepishly in return. Sebastian pushes open the front door leading us to the parking lot.

"Oh, we plan to, but aren't you cheering on Grahams?" Nathan asks confused.

"Thank you for carrying my bags, Olivia get in the car, they'll see you tomorrow, I'll see you next week Monday," I quickly change the subject climbing in the back, propping my feet along the backseat. I breathe a sigh of relief when he nods his head, says goodbye, and leaves. "He doesn't need to know about Chase."

"Why because he's the reason you guys broke up?" Olivia asks with her eyebrow raised.

"He was not the entire reason," I mumble shoving the back of her seat with my hand.

"Just the main one then, yeah?" Olivia smirks winking at me. Sebastian climbs into the driver's seat after putting everyone's stuff in the trunk.

"What are we talking about because you look like she said something bad, and you look like you're enjoying her reaction too much," he points to me and then Olivia as he speaks.

"Just drive," I roll my eyes. I hate high school relationships.

*****************************

"That's it!" my mother shouts, banging things in the kitchen, as we walk into the house. We all freeze, hoping that we're haven't done anything to piss her off this time. When she gets mad, you run. Or blame it on another sibling.

"Kids, get in here!"

"Whatever you're mad about, I didn't do it," Sophie raises her hands in surrender.

"Sebastian did it!" Tessa yells out pointing at Sebastian as we walk into the kitchen.

"Charlotte said it was okay!" Sebastian defends himself.

"I did not!" I shout my defense.

"What are you talking about?" My mom raises her eyebrow, confused.

"Whatever you're going to yell at us about," Sebastian shrugs, stating the obvious, putting his bags down.

"Who even raised you?" Mom asks rhetorically.

"Uh, you," I shrug with a smirk on my face.

"Well, children of mine and Olivia, we are starting a new rule in this house," she states putting a large mason jar onto the kitchen counter. We all look at each other confused. "I was talking with Maddie today and she said a very interesting word, any of you know what that word is? No? Her new favorite word is fucker now I don't know which one of you said it but I'm blaming you all," she stares each of us down, "Whenever you say a bad word in front of Maddie, $5 will be put into this jar," she taps the jar lightly. "And this goes for all your friends that visit, and if I found out that any of you have cheated the jar, I will take over your phone for a full week; that includes me answering your texts, phone calls, and any facetime or mentions on whatever social media you have," mom smiles as she lists off our potential punishments.

"What? Mom, that is so not fair!" Sophie argues a look of disbelief, all of us seem to have, across her face.

"I don't want to hear it, this rule starts now," she walks over to the side drawer and pulls out a pen and a ripped piece of paper, she scribbles something down and grabs some tape, sticking the paper onto the jar. 'Swear Jar' is written in a thick black sharpie. Us teenagers slowly recoil at the thought of this new rule.

"Momma, can I have a snack?" Maddie shuffles into the kitchen with a pleading look on her face. Nobody says a word as we look at mom.

"I think I still have homework to do," Sophie rushes out of the room first.

"You know what, I think I'm going to chill in my room until dinner time," Tessa shrugs grabbing a banana before rushing up the stairs.

"I am not going to be the first one that gets taken down, see you suckers at dinner," Sebastian throws a peace sign, grabbing his bags, and walking out of the kitchen. That leaves Olivia and me.

"Well I need to ice my knee, so I will be in my room, Liv let's go," I hobble over to the freezer and grab an icepack while Olivia carries our backpacks up the stairs. I try to get Olivia up the stairs faster knowing that she was at least eighty percent of the reason Maddie has a new colorful vocabulary.

"Okay see you at dinner, Fucker," Maddie yells out at us with a giggle. I stand still in shock, praying that what I just heard had not come out of my seven-year-old sister's mouth.

"I blame you all!" Mom shouts from the kitchen, then starts scolding Maddie. I limp up the stairs as fast as I can.

|| ** || ** ||

13k !!!!!! What?! You guys are seriously incredible, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need some music inspiration- What is your favorite song right now?

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I am planning to post another chapter before this coming Friday since I'm going away for a couple of days and there will be absolutely NO cell reception, so I'll post before Friday and then probably Monday as soon as I get home if I can!

Have a great week everyone!

Enjoy,

Sammipott xx