ʟɪғᴇ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴅᴜɴɢᴇᴏɴ. (ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1)

(Varian's POV)
It's been about a month now, but it already seems like it's been a year.
I've been counting the days ever since I've gotten here, as if it would make me feel better about my circumstances. According to how the trial went, I'm believed to have a sentence of fifteen years, with no chance of parole until the fifth year has passed. If I'm being honest with myself, I was surprised that my sentence wasn't longer, though, the more I think about it, the more likely the possibility that the reason for that is Rapunzel.
I wonder what she feels she's accomplished from her actions, as if I'd actually forgive her. Pathetic.
After all, she is the entire reason why I'm here to begin with.
...
Besides, I don't need her sympathy to get out of this.
I'm confident that I'll be able to find a way out of this place in no time. And then, I can save my father.

To describe my time here, let me just start with this: the food here is absolutely terrible. It tastes like they've mixed dirt with salt and then spat in it. With the way the guards look at me, I'd bet they really /did/ spit in it. Though, can't say I'm surprised, and besides, it's not like I'm necessarily use to having much better.
In fact, this place isn't /too/ much different from home.
The beds are uncomfortable, and the place reeks of sweat, mold, and sewage.
There aren't very many people around me. It does make sense that they would separate me from the other prisoners.
I've noticed two other cells that seem somewhat close, and even so, they're a considerable distance away from me. My only company is the stoic, silent guards that stand outside my cell, and Rudiger.
I haven't been let out of my cell ever since the trial, and the most light I see is the distant closing and opening of the door at the end of an extremely long hallway, and the light that shined in from the barred window at the top of the wall in my cell.
One day, I swear, I'll blow a hole in this place and break free, opening a gateway back to that light.
Then? I'll save my father.
I swear on it.