ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɢʀᴇᴇᴛ. (ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4)

(Varian's POV)
I awoke to the sound of a guard sliding the tray into my cell.
"Here's your breakfast, kid.", the guard said.
By the use of the word 'kid', I could tell that this guard wasn't the same, hostile guard from the previous day. I may not like to be referred to as such, but it's better than terms like 'prisoner' or even 'scum'.
I walked over towards the tray, starring at it.
Then, I repeated what I had done the pervious day and poked at it.
The guard looked at me for a moment before letting out a sigh.
"Kid, it's unhealthy for you to avoid eating like this.", he said.
I didn't reply.
"You.. really should consider eating."
Once more, I didn't reply.
He gave a look of defeat, now turning around, his back now towards me. Quickly, I snatched up a piece of bread from the tray and stuffed it into my pocket, before standing up and going to sit back on the bed. Rudiger stared at me, and I put a finger to my lips. Afterwards, he scampered over and ate a majority of what remained.

Hours passed, and all I could think about was the visitor that I am suppose to have today. When will she get here? I'm estimating that it's some time in the afternoon, since the sun is high in the sky, shining down through my window in all its glory. I should be more patient.
I just have to wait.

Another hour passed, and she still wasn't here.
Then another.
Finally, after the third hour passed, the door at the end of the hallway began to open ever so slowly, as if it was in slow motion. Once the door opened completely, girl in a pale, washed out looking pink dress stepped out, a timid look on her face. Once she fully stepped inside, I could see that she had a guard with her. He stuck close to her as the two of them walked down the hallway, in my direction.
I noticed how the girl was fidgeting with her fingers, glancing around the dungeon as she approached. Soon, she was right in front of my cell, staring at me.
An awkward silence followed, until she finally spoke up.
"Hello-! You're Varian, right?", she asked, her tone soft, yet still enthusiastic. The nervous look she had been wearing on her way inside had vanished, and left no trace that it had ever been there. She didn't seem worried through how she spoke either.

After remaining silent for a moment, I nodded.
"I... am."
"Great.. it's nice to meet you.", she replied.
"May I come inside?"
I was surprised to hear her ask that, just staring at her. Before I would have even gotten a chance to reply, a guard cut in.
"Are you sure you'd like to do that so soon?", he asked.
"I'm certain.", she said.

Is she implying that she trusts me? That's something I haven't seen much of recently. There's always a sign of fear and hesitation now, but not with her, it seems. Is it possible that Rapunzel didn't explain what had happened?

After thinking for a moment, the guard let out a sigh, nodding his head.
"Fine, but if you do go in, I'll have to cuff him."
"Okay.", she replied.
Here's an example of the distrust I had mentioned!
The guard now opened up the door to the cell, taking a pair of handcuffs out from a pocket and holding them out.
"Hands together."
I reluctantly did as I was told, and he placed them on my wrists, tightening them as far as they would go without cutting off my circulation. I hate wearing them.
After they were on, I gave the guard a cruel glare, and the girl stepped inside, then the guard backed up, shutting the cell door, remaining inside.

She looked at the guard, then at me, smiling and taking a seat on my bed.
"Come, sit with me."
I didn't. I remained standing, just to see what kind of reaction I would get.
Without replying, she stood back up, looking straight at me.
"It's nice to finally meet you in person, Varian! I should properly introduce myself!
I'm (y/n) (l/n)!"
I stared at her, before replying; "You already know who I am."
She nodded, then noticed Rudiger, her smile growing as she approached, holding her hand out.
"Awe, who's this little guy?〜", she said, now starting to rub Rudiger's tummy.
"That's Rudiger—..."
"He's adorable! He's your pet?"
I hesitated, then thought back to all we had done together, and how Rudiger chose to come with me... and I nodded.
"You could say that."
She turned back to me, keeping her wide smile this time.
"I'm glad you have a companion like him."
"...Is there anything that you're specifically here for?"
"Hm? Yes, to talk with you and be your friend.", she said, as blunt as possible.
"I mean— why?"
She blinks a couple of times, her smile turning into a blank expression as she tilted her head to the side, as if I had just given her a question that was impossible to solve.
"Because..", she started, seemingly looking for the words to say before her smile reappeared.
"Because everyone needs a friend, and it seems that you're lacking one of those at the moment. Everyone needs someone that they can trust. I'm here to be that person for you."
There was a part of me that was agitated with her words, and another that was.. appreciative? Regardless of this side, I groaned, raising an eyebrow.
"Is that so? You're saying I'm suppose to trust and just— suddenly become friends with a complete stranger?"
"Well.. not immediately, no-! Of course it would be a process, and I'd like to earn it first. No one can just all of a sudden trust a stranger, especially when they're in a position like your's. Are you willing to at least try it?", now, she tilted her head.
I stared at her, directly in the eyes. I bet Rapunzel put her up to this. I bet this is her way of getting some kind of information out of me—like if I intend to attempt an escape or not, or.. something. Though, something told me to just try it.. I don't have to tell her anything personal, I can just see where it goes, right? Besides, maybe I could use it to my own advantage? It's better than sitting here and doing nothing.
So, having come to a decision, I slowly nodded, squinting my eyes at her.
"I guess so."
Her face lit up, and clasped her hands together.
"I'm so glad! So, now we're friends!"
"...Right..."
I glanced back at the guard, who was staring with a surprised look on his face. Though, once he noticed that I was looking at him, his stern look returned, so I turned back to (y/n).

"Let's start by telling each other some facts about ourselves! I'll go first!"
And so she continued on, telling me about herself until the guard finally made her stop, saying that her time was up. I didn't even get a chance to speak, but I'm fine with that. Listening was better anyway.
So, she told me goodbye and left, saying that she's see me tomorrow.
So, this is a daily thing now?
Somehow, I doubt that it'll stay that way, but we'll see.