ɴɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇ. (ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2)

(Varian's POV)
That night, I sat on my cold, hard bed, staring up at the ceiling above. If only I could relax enough to sleep; but how can I, knowing that my dad is far away, incased in a ginormous crystal, with, as far as I know, no signs of escape any time soon.
The possibility that he would never be free again haunted my thoughts, floating around my mind like a ghost.
With as much free time as I've had, these thoughts tended to come up often. I wish I could say I was using the time to rest so that I could focus on my escape, but how can I when I can't even concentrate on anything but my father? Usually, I find myself passing out with exhaustion if I can't manage to sleep for /too/ long.
Tonight was no different.
I sat in my bed, awake, until I noticed the faintest glimpse of the sun rising outside my window.
I felt my eye lids getting heavier as I stared at the pleasant view.
Though, soon, it turned pitch black.
Then there was a light. Though, this one wasn't a nice, calming view like a sun rise.
Huh?
Flames? Was that.. a fire?

The flames started quite a distance away from me, and I watched as they just got closer and closer, as if they were taunting me.
Once they were just outside my cell, I gasped in fear, backing myself as far from the flames as I could possibly get.
I glanced up to see if the guards were attempting to help, but they were gone. Then I looked for Rudiger, and he wasn't there either.
I was alone.
The fire crept nearer, until it was almost to me.
"N-No!", I cried out, to no avail. My voice echoed throughout the hallway, and I felt helpless.
"S-Stop, this can't, no!"
The flames were now inches away from me, only getting closer and closer.
Just as the flames were about to make contact, they all vanished after a shout was heard.
"Prisoner!"
I sat up, gasping and catching my breath in attempt to calm myself from what had just happened.
Or.. what I had just dreamt? It was... just a dream.
The sun was shining brighter than before, so I must have fallen asleep.
Once I finally managed to calm myself, I looked up to find one of the guards looking back at me.
I remained silent, to see if he would continue without a reply. He did.
"You have a visitor.", he said, obviously unamused with my lack of a response.
A visitor?
Gee, I /wonder/ who that could be.
I'm really not in the mood to see /her/ again.
Then again, I may never be.
"Who is it?", I asked, though, I felt like I didn't even need to.
And I really didn't! Not just because I had a feeling on who it was, but, because I didn't even get a response from the guard before he was walking towards the door at the end of the hallway, leaving me with the other guard.
After a moment, the door opened, and in walked no other than Princess Rapunzel herself.
Who would have guessed?
/Certainly not me/.

I glared as she walked down the hallway, glancing around in what seemed like concern. It didn't take long for her to arrive in front of my cell, staring directly at me, as if I was some sick, lost animal.
"Varian...", she said, a tone of pity in her voice.
"Rapunzel.", I replied, as if to mimic her. The guard obviously didn't like that, but Rapunzel stopped him from butting in. I didn't want to see her, and I can tell she already knew that.
She remained quiet for a few minutes, appearing to be searching for the right words to say.
"Are they.. treating you well?", she asked.
"...", I paused, staring her in the eyes and grinning. Though, it wasn't a kind grin. It was a sarcastic, angry grin.
"Yes, they're treating me like a king!", I stated, sarcasm dripping with every word.
She visibly cringed, a frown twisting about on her face. More silence followed.
"Is there a real point to this? Or, are you just here to listen to me talk about how wonderful the dungeon is?"
She let out a sigh, nodding her head. Good, my words have an effect on her.
She's sensitive.
"We...have been trying to find people to help you.", she started. "Before really getting into anything, we wanted to.. at least let you have more company. So, we..."
"You've been trying to find /me/ help? What about my father? Don't you think that he deserves /help/? Is my father free right now, Rapunzel? Have you freed him?", I asked, my tone still bitter, but, there was an unintentional hint of hope.
"...W-Well.."
"Well. Well... Well, you haven't freed him. /Well/, you haven't even /tried/ to free him! Am I right!?", I shouted, hatred in my eyes.
"We're trying to find a way to... we really are. I want to help your father, /and/ you."
I didn't have a reply to that. So, I glanced away, now glaring at the stone walls that surrounded my cell.
"...I think that you'll like having someone else here with you. I think the two of you will get along, I really do! You're even the same age!", she exclaimed, adding a hint of enthusiasm to her voice.
I'll admit, the idea of company did seem nice.
After all, it would be a way to distract myself from the thoughts that have been clouding my mind. Plus, I don't know many other people. So, instead of coming up with a snarky, sarcastic comeback, I nodded my head.
That made her smile.
"Great! She should be here tomorrow!"
I once again nodded, this time glancing back at her. The smile on her face made me feel pure disgust, but, lucky for me, she turned to leave after that.
"Bye, Varian..", she said, stopping for a moment.
"...See you around, Princess." I replied.
I heard a sigh come from her, as the guard walked her out.
I eased up after hearing the door close behind her and I glanced back, checking if she was really gone.
She was.
That could have gone better.

...Company, huh?
We'll see how this goes.