ʟᴇᴛ's ᴘʟᴀʏ ᴀ ɢᴀᴍᴇ. (ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7)

(Y/N's POV)
I awoke to loud knocking on my bedroom door. I was sprawled out on my bed, or.. half on my bed. I'm known for being a restless sleeper.
The knocking only got louder.
I groaned, rolling off the bed. Well, that woke me up.
"Ah! Yes- yes, what is it?", I asked.
"Wake up... you have to visit that boy again—.." I heard my sister call, an irritated tone in her voice, before she opened the door to see me, lying on the floor.
"...What happened to you?", she asked.
"Oh- nothing!〜 Just, uh.. fell!", I replied, scampering to my feet and chuckling awkwardly.
She merely stared at me for a moment, then nodded, waving a hand dismissively.
"Alright.. just- get ready. It's almost three."
"Three? I'm gonna be late!"
Well, that certainly caused me to hurry, running to my closet, throwing around clothes before finding a nice, semi-casual dress to wear.
I heard the door shut and looked back to see that my sister had left. Ah, of course... at least she woke me up in time. Sorta.

I found myself rushing into the castle, greeting guards hastily as I ran by. Luckily, they recognized me from my previous visits with the princess. There's the one prior to her asking me to help her with Varian, and the one from yesterday, with Varian.
I passed Rapunzel, waving to her. She gave me an encouraging grin, waving in return as I passed.
I then rushed down the stairway, towards the door to the dungeon. That's when I slowed down, taking a few deep breathes before one, long breath, and smiled at the guard, nodding my head as a form of greeting, before he opened the door and held it for me as I walked in. Once I stepped inside, I glanced down the hallway, seeing Varian in his cell at the end. Then, I began to walk, the guard following, just as I did yesterday.
The walk down was always the worst part. It gives me time to focus on my fears, and all sorts of other negative things. I can also catch a glimpse of the two prisoners closest to Varian, who always glare harshly at me.
Once I got to the end of the hallway, I smiled, as I had yesterday.
"Good afternoon, Varian!", I greeted.
He... didn't reply.
I glanced back at the guard, then Varian.
"May I please go inside?", I asked.
"Alright, but-"
"I understand.. you'll have to cuff him."
"I- yeah.", he replied.
I nodded as he opened the door, stepping inside, and I followed after.
I noticed Varian wince in pain once the guard tightened the handcuffs, and I cut in.
"Sir.. may I please request that you loosen them, please?", I asked.
Both of them turned to look at me, and I noticed Varian specifically was surprised. This was the first time he's made eye contact with me today.
The guard hesitantly nodded, loosening the handcuffs. I then gave him a smile.
"Thank you."
He turned away, stepped towards the entrance to watch over us.
"So... I told you about my life yesterday, how about it's your turn?", I asked.
He glanced at the corner of the room.
"...What do you want to know?"
"What do you want to share?"
"I-... I don't know."
"Any hobbies?"
"...Well, I use to do alchemy a lot, before-...
and, I liked.. the Flynn Rider books."
This is a start! We're engaging in conversation.
"Really? Those are cool! I could maybe bring you one of the Flynn Rider books— I own a few of them, actually. Not so sure about anything having to do with alchemy, though."
I chuckled a bit, and he looked back at me, the surprised look returning.
"Really?", he asked.
"Yeah! Of course."
"Th..Thanks.", he said, offering a very vague smile. I ignored the hint of suspicion in his voice.
Though, neither lasted long, but I don't care. As long as it was there at one point. I know he's capable of smiling
I glanced around his cell for a minute, originally looking to see where his pet raccoon was, before noticing a mostly full tray of food on the ground.
"Aren't you going to eat?", I asked.
"No.", he replied.
"Why?"
"I don't want to."
"Aren't you.. hungry?"
He shrugged. "Not really."
He can't just not eat and have that be the truth. It doesn't work like that. I think.
"When was the last time you ate?"
He paused. He... appeared to be looking at the guard, but then quickly turned his gaze back on me.
"I don't remember."
"..."
I didn't reply, this time. That pause was suspicious— but.. I'll go with it.
"If you insist.", I replied.
"As long as you think you don't need it, but if you're hungry, you should eat. It's bad for your health not to."
"I'll... be fine.", he said, his tone quiet.
"...Alright. Buuut-
I'm going to bring you food sometime! Good food."
"...Mh. You don't have to."
"But, I want to!"
"Okay.."
"Well- how about we play a game? That could be fun.", I suggested.
He raised an eyebrow, glancing down at the cuffs and then back at me, holding his hands out.
"Right, handcuffs.. uhm; we'll work around them. We can still play. Let's see...
how about Would You Rather?"
"Would You Rather?"
"Right. Have you played before?", I asked.
"No, I haven't.", he replied.
"Oh. I can explain the rules, then! Basically, you said 'would you rather', and then say two different things and the other person has to pick which one they would rather do. Like, saying, would you rather- uh... eat dirt or eat an ant?"
"Why would I eat either-?"
"I mean— in a scenario where you had to."
"Oh.. then, dirt, I guess?"
"See! Totally fun, right!〜"
"...I suppose so."
"Cool! So, that means it's your turn now."
"Okay.. would you rather-"
He took a moment to think, and I watched him with a smile on my face.
"Would you rather break your right arm or your right leg?"
Kind of an odd question, but hey— it's something!
"Break my.. uh, right leg, I suppose."
He nodded quietly.
"Aha, so.. would you rather have magic powers or rule over the world?"
"Uh.. ruling, maybe? It depends. Regardless, magic isn't real."
"Really? You don't believe in magic?"
"Mhm."
"What about Rapunzel's hair?"
"..."
"...Sorry, nevermind. Let's continue with the game!"
He nodded, then we continued on.
We played Would You Rather until my time was up and the guard signaled for me to leave. I nodded, then waved goodbye to Varian, and he.. shook his cuffed hands slightly. Very slightly.
"See you tomorrow!", I said, before leaving.

Once I was out of the dungeon, I was.. more calm than I was yesterday. Then I was just happy to have it over with, but today I wasn't actually anticipating the end— I had fun.
I've still got to be careful, of course— but.. it was nice.

Rapunzel and I didn't have a long discussion today, I basically just told her about the game we played and she was happy for us, then I left.
Once I got home, I did my chores, before heading to my room.
Though, surprisingly, I found my sister in there.
"Hey.", she said.
"Oh— hey, sis!"
"How'd it go? With the criminal, I mean?"
"Ah, his name is Varian, but.. it went well! We played a game."
"Did you? Huh. Alright.", she said.
"Yeah...- hey! I just remembered that I said I'd bring him food tomorrow! Could you wake me up early tomorrow?"
"You? Waking up early? Whoa, are you sure you can?", she laughed.
"Yes, pleeeease make me wake up. It's important."
"Fine, fine, okay. But you owe me."
"Thank you, sis!", I said, hugging her, before she pushed me off and walked to the door, nodding.
"Yeah, yeah.", she said, before leaving.

I plopped onto my bed now, staring up at the ceiling with a smile.
I'll bring him the best meal I can muster up!

—————————————————————
Sorry for not posting yesterday! I'm still dealing w/ some stuff, so tomorrow's chapter may also be delayed.