ᴀ ᴍᴇᴀʟ ғɪᴛ ғᴏʀ ᴀ.. ᴘʀɪsᴏɴᴇʀ? (ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8)

(Y/N's POV)
I felt myself being shook as I began to awake, opening my eyes ever so slightly.
"Hey, wake up.", I heard my sister say from next to my bed.
"Huh..?", I groaned, bringing a hand to rub my eyes as she let go of my shoulders.
"It's eleven. You told me to wake you up early, yeah? Well, good morning."
I slowly sat up, my hair a mess. The sun shining in from my window felt like it was so much brighter than on most days.
"Hmph. Get dressed, I'll be waiting for you."
"Huh? Why?"
"Well, I'm not going to just make it all on my own, right?"
"I didn't know you were helping!"
"Yeah, of course. If I didn't, you'd probably conjure up something even worse than the prison junk they give him."
"/Hey/, I'm not that bad at cooking."
"Right.. just get ready and I'll be in the kitchen."
After that, she left, leaving me alone.
I hopped out of my bed to go get ready.

In those three hours, Emma and I were able to make deviled eggs, cherry pie, and roasted carrots. I also made ham sandwiches, because, wellthey're easier to make than anything else.

I decided to head out early today, so that I couldn't risk being late.
Carrying the heavy basket of foods that my sister and I made, I walked down the streets in the direction of the castle. I waved as I passed by a few people I recognized, then continued on towards my destination.

Before long, I was walking through the gates of the castle, guards greeting me as I walked inside. They've pretty much gotten use to having me here, and it's only really been a few days. That gives a sort of special feeling, really.
As I walked further inside, I was greeted by more guards, to whom I greeted back. Then, I passed by Rapunzel, who was talking to Flynn Ri— I mean, Eugene. I'm not quite use to calling him that yet.
I decided that I could afford to stop briefly; I was early after all.
"Hey, (y/n)!", Rapunzel said, waving to me."
"Your h- I mean, Rapunzel, hey!"
"Heya' kiddo. Whatcha got there?", Eugene asked.
"I told Varian that I would bring him something to eat today!"
"Oh, that's nice!", Rapunzel said.
I glanced over to notice Eugene going to open the basket of food, and gently slapped his hand away.
"It's for /Varian/."
"Right, right.", he said, crossing his arms and grumbling under his breath. Rapunzel giggled, and I smiled, then turned to continue walking.
"See you two later!", I said.
"Bye!", Rapunzel and Eugene both said, though, Rapunzel had more enthusiasm.

I continued on my way, in the direction of the dungeons, the basket still in my hands. I stepped down the stairs, using my free hand to give a small wave to the guards, and then they opened up the door for me. Like always, I was escorted inside by the same guard as always.
When I got to the cell entrance, I could see Varian sitting on his bed, looking in my direction. I could tell that his eyes were really focused on the basket of food, however.
Once I was let inside and Varian was handcuffed, I sat the basket next to where he was sitting, smiling at him.
"Good afternoon, Varian!", I said.
"Afternoon..", he replied.
I opened up the basket to pull out a blanket, laying it on the cell ground. Then, I pulled out the food from inside, setting them in the middle of the blanket, while he stared in awe.
"I didn't think you'd really bring all that.", he eventually said, looking from the food to me.
"Of course. Why wouldn't I?"
"I..just..."
"You don't have to answer, silly!", I laughed, then sat the basket on the ground, taking a seat at one end of the blanket.
He stared blankly at me briefly.
"Aren't you going to sit down?", I asked.
He hesitated, then nodded, standing and slowly lowering himself to sit across from me.
Before waiting for him to say anything, I picked up a deviled egg, taking a bite from it. He watched as I ate, looking from the food then back to me.
"What's wrong?", I asked.
He stumbled over words, then just went quiet.
I blinked absently, before picking up a ham sandwich and holding it up to his mouth.
"Eat it.", I said.
He looked surprised, then his face stiffened a bit.
"Hu-", before he could say anything, I stuffed half of it in his mouth, keeping my hand there he it wouldn't fall out of his mouth, or so he wouldn't spit it out.
Well, now he was totally shocked, and made muffled sounds.
"This'll go by faster if you just eat!", I said, puffing out my cheeks slightly. I know this may seem insane, but he has to eat, and by the look in his eyes when he saw the food, I can tell that he wants to eat and is just not letting himself!
After a minute or so of him protesting, he finally surrendered, eating the sandwich until it was gone.
I gave him a proud smile.
"So, you'll eat now, right?"
"I- yeah." he replied, sighing and then smiling ever so slightly before taking a plate, and filling it with food.
Rudiger scampered over to us, and I grinned, pulling out an apple from the basket and handing it to him.
"Here you go, buddy! I didn't forget about you!", I said, before resuming our meal.

The two of us ate quietly for most of the time, though, I was just glad that he hadn't refused to eat; especially after seeing how quickly he ate the food. He almost looked like he had never eaten before while stuffing his face. This was an accomplishment on my part.
Both of us began to slow down after some time, and I took an extra plate, filling it with the leftovers and setting it on the ground, off of the blanket.
"That's for when you get hungry again and don't want to eat the food that they provide."
He stared at me, then nodded, setting his empty plate down and standing up, going to sit back on the bed.
I then began to clean up from our little meal.
"Did you like it?", I asked.
"...It was- alright.", he replied.
That wasn't the best answer, but it was better than something like 'it sucked', so another success!
"I'm glad.", I replied.
He went quiet again, until I had packed everything away.
I then looked at him, sighing after a moment.
"You can talk to me, you know? We're friends now, after all."
"...Right. Thanks.", he replied.
I got a thanks? That's good! I haven't gotten a Thanks before. Even if it didn't sound very enthusiastic.
"No problem! What're friends for, aha!", I chuckled.

"Your time's up, Ms (y/n).", the guard said.
"Is it already? Oh.", I replied, rubbing the back of my head and nodding.
"Alright. I hope you have a good rest of your day, Varian. You too, Rudiger!", I said, stepping out of the cell and walking down the hallway.
"Bye, (y/n).", he said, after I had gotten half way down the hallway. I stopped, then glanced back, a smile on my face.

"I'll see you tomorrow!〜", I chirped, before continuing on my way out.