ᴘɪᴄᴋ ᴀ sɪᴅᴇ. (ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13)

(Y/N's POV)
As usual, I found myself stepping down the dark hallway that is Corona's prison. Everything about today was generally... normal; nothing seemed specifically off.

Once reaching the end, as usual, Varian was cuffed and I was let inside the cell with him. Over time, we've grown closer, and he's less reclusive.

"Hey," he greeted, sweetly, yet, quietly.

"Hey! How're you," I asked, giving a grin.

"I'm alright. What about you," he asked. His tone was meeker than usual, as if he was thinking through every word.

"That's.. good! I'm the same," I answered. "Is something the matter?" I asked. I'm not one to hold off on questions when something seems odd.

He paused, opening and shutting his mouth, before shaking his head. Clearly, he was torn about his answer.

His behavior was suspicious — he hesitated, this I noticed; but I had to decide quickly whether or not I would call him on it.

" .. C'mon, it seems like there's something. You hesitated, " I urged, nudging him gently with a grin. This gesture resulted in him shifting away from me, which immediately threw me off. Okay, something was definitely wrong.

" ... Varian, aren't we friends? What's with you? "

" Friends don't lie to each other! " He suddenly snapped, expression shifting to a look of hurt. I flinched.

" ... What? I've never lied to you, Varian ... " I reassure, to which he scoffs. All of this made me wonder what had possibly happened to make him think such a thing. Though, it seems I wouldn't have to wonder for long.

" I heard about your deal with the queen. How you tell her everything I say after we meet — you don't trust me. You're betraying me! All of this is just- just some scheme to spy on me, even in .. this- this cell! "

My jaw dropped, watching as he turns away from me, eyes welling up with tears. The guard looked as if he was readying to step inside of the cell, but I held a hand out to stop him, turning now. " ... Could we have some privacy? " I asked the guard.

He hesitated.  I understood why. It was a risky thing to leave me alone with a criminal, especially in an emotional state like this. " I don't know if that's a very good idea... " he stares. I cut in. " Please. "

After a moment of staring, he backs away, turning to take his leave. I let out a sigh of relief, turning back to Varian. I reach out, but he turns away further.

" ... I haven't been telling the queen, " I start, offering an attempt at a reassuring smile. " All she knows is ... the surface level things! Like, when we play games, and when you eat ... but, if you were to tell me anything personal, I wouldn't say a word. Friends ... friends don't go back on their word. Right? "

He turned to look at me. My smile remained, feeling some hope bubble up in my chest as he turns around completely.

" Promise? " He asks.

I pause. " Promise .. what? "

" Promise that you won't tell her anything I tell you not to. "

My smile faltered. There's that feeling again. Conflicted between betraying my kingdom, or ... betraying my friend. The choice was obvious. It should be obvious, yet, I was leaning towards the former. If I didn't make this promise, though ... everything would be ruined either way!

" ... I promise, Varian, " I finally say, watching his eyes narrow at my answer.

" ... Okay, " he starts. " Then, (y/n) ... what if I were to tell you that I have a plan to get out of here? "

—————————————————————————

um hi. it's literally been what? 4 years? omg. my writing style has improved so much but i tried to mimic the style i used for this before in finishing this chapter. i felt really bad for not finishing ... i don't even go by lily anymore, but i won't update my name bc i'm not on wattpad often. let's just call me edgar? these chapters are really short so i may try to finish. would you guys like that? also, since i don't remember my original storyline, i would like you guys to pick, if anyone actually reads this anymore.

so, should y/n betray varian and tell the queen his plan? or betray the queen? let me know below, thanks!