Seven

Hiccup's POV

Freya was obviously lost in her mind, but not enough for me to escape. I can hardly blame her. Afterall, she has had a recent loss, travelled great distances, living off of a small diet and now found that her brother was supposedly dead because of me.

There was probably so many things that could've gone differently, that I could've done.

But I didn't chose Viggo to trick me into helping him strike against Krogan and Johann. He came to me for help, even if he lied with every other word. I could try telling Freya that, in attempt to shift her hate, but I knew that Freya was in a delicate state and shouldn't be pressed - not that she'd believe me anyway.

My treacherous heart kept trying to help. Viggo was... a better man than Johan by miles, but not exactly an angel. But he was brought up - as was every viking - to hate dragons, so instead of killing them on sight trapping them to use their abilities didn't seem that bad. Then again, he knew from Toothless and I that there was a solution possible. But he had his -and it turned a hefty profit. One that he used for his tribe, wherever their island was.

I resisted the urge to groan. It was all to grey and confusing.

Astrid would be fuming. She hated my plan, with excellent reason. I hoped they weren't too worried, but I suppose I should be much more concerned. Freya was calm most of the time, but I couldn't really tell. It was clear she had a facade up; whether it was the upset teen suffering loss or the cruel captor, I couldn't tell.

As we walked, I tried to come up with a plan. I could get her a gronkle, like Dagur, and when she releases me I would explain to the others.

If she releases me.

Why wouldn't she? During the interrogation her temper flared, revealing her motive. I knew that she was Viggo's sister and that she wanted more answers surrounding him and his death. I also knew where she was going to go. So would she kill me for it?

Obviously she wouldn't want me to get in the way. But I couldn't trust that she would just release me - if anything it would make most sense to tie me to a tree or something and wait for the others to find me. That would give her enough of a lead that even with a gronkle, the slowest dragon, she would be long gone.

Only if she wouldn't kill me.

I paled. It would be easiest for her to kill me, get me out of the way and the riders off her trail. When she left that menacing note, it was clear she was out to get me. Gulping, I realised I would have to escape.

Various shades of green and brown lined the edge of the forest. At this point, we had been walking along the cliffs for a while now, presumably going to the outpost or cove. I scanned the tree line for anything I could use. There were no bushes to hide behind, no sharp edges to cut the binds and definitely no dragons.

Knowing that the dragons were safe gave me a little relief, but that meant we would have to continue walking.

A shimmer caught my eye. Darting through the woods, an ever moving creature followed us. Freya seemed oblivious. With her cloak pulled up, only I was visible. I was the one it would target. I quickened my pace. Freya turned, confused, but I took no heed. Based on the stealth of whatever was following us, it had to be one of the native changewings.

"Changwing," I explained, hoping she'd pick up her pace as well. Her eyes widened and she released me, focusing on the new threat. She vanished from sight, having pulled her cloak all the way over her face.

More outlines shadowed around me. The movements were quick and precise, but I couldn't see them for more than a moment. Looking over my shoulder, I checked for Freya. There was silence and I breathed a sigh of relief.