Thirteen

Hiccup's POV

Running a hand through my hair, I sighed the moment Freya had left the room. Our alliance was... tense, to say the least. But now there was no going back: we would have to trust her.

Stoick and the riders seemed to relax as she left and I couldn't help but do the very same thing. Afterall, she snuck onto our island, burnt our weapons, attacked Toothless, kidnapped me, stole the Dragon Eye and then tamed a changewing? It was unbelievable - but it happened.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. Smiling up at me, Astrid leaned against my side. I melted into the touch, my worry melting away. A soft smile pulled at the edges of my mouth.

"You did the right thing," she said slowly, "You gave her a chance to prove she can be on our side. If she was lied to, that's not her fault." Astrid pulled away and I immediately missed the warmth.

"I know - but it just feels unnecessary. After all we've accomplished in at Edge, suddenly, we have to deal with this."

"It does suck, but let's try to think about it more positively," Astrid encouraged. "She brought our attention back to the Dragon Hunters. They'd have the element of surprise otherwise. And Freya could be a powerful ally. I mea,n, technically what she is, but it doesn't feel like it yet."

I groaned, running a hand through my hair. "You're right, but now he has the Dragon Eye again."

"But we already found the king of dragons, so it doesn't make a huge differnce." Astrid leant against the wall as the others left.

"What if there's a dragon they haven't used it on? I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I can't ignore the possibility now that it's in the Dragon Hunters' grasp."

Astrid paled slightly, but shook her head. "Maybe. We can get it back, though."

"Why do the gods hate us?" I mumbled. "I can't think straight - I need to get some sleep."

Nodding, Astrid left, leaving me to my jumbled thoughts. I stroked a wooden bar, my nail scraping at the tiger-like stripes.

Freya was confusing. Her logic escaped me, but I knew it existed. Afterall, she was Viggo's sister.

Viggo.

He was just as confusing. I felt conflicted, and I think I always will. It didn't have to end that way - but it had. Freya said she'd seen him be burried, which was just a horrifying thought. My imagination ran wild. His corpse being thrown into the ground carelessly, the Hunters not bothering to pull out the arrows. His skeleton snapping as hit fell."

I flinched at the thought, beginning to walk.

If what Freya implied was true about Viggo's and Ryker's relationship, then everything was even worse. It made sense - all those snarky, provocative comments that went unnoticed hinted at this.

What had happened to those three growing up?

There was a loud cry from the arena and I jumped up. There was distressed dragon call, causing Toothless to snap his head up. I ran over to him, petting his head.

Once more a roar shattered the evening air, more desperate than ever before. My hopes fell. What was Freya doing?

"Come on, bud!" I yelled as we took off. Using clicks, Toothless searched the area near the arena. He sped up, worrying me.

What happened? Was someone hurt?

We sliced through the air like a knife in warm butter. Narrowing my eyes, I tried to make out the details but we were travelling too fast. I trusted Toothless to steer as I copied his tail movements.