Twenty two

Freya's POV

I charged outwards, ignoring Ryker's mad cackle. Between me and the exit were snarling changewings, flaming monstrous nightmares, roaring thunderdrums and smirking Dragon Hunters.

My only advantage was maneuverability. I had to make small, tight turns. Otherwise I'd be fried.

Jaws clamped shut beside me. I ran. Someone threw an axe and I ducked. I bolted for the stairs but a changewing landed in front of me.

I turned back. Three men leapt for me and I slowed. A spear brushed viciously against my side and I grabbed the end. I was kicked on my shins and I let go with a yelp.

Fire exploded above me. On the floor I crawled forwards through the legs of a guard. I picked hard on the back of the knee and he fell to the floor. I grabbed his shield and axe and stood.

Claws slashed at my face. Wincing, I pushed the shield up and the changewing spat at me. The shield disintegrated and I leapt to the side.

Two Hunters approached as the others steered the dragons towards me. I gripped the spear and lunged. They dodged and one threw his axe. I blocked it with the spear, leaving my middle exposed.

A guard aimed for my chest. I twisted, avoiding the sword, and kicked. The Dragon Hunter scowled. Suddenly, he was yanked upwards. Several dragons had been steered towards me.

Heart racing, I leapt forwards. Teeth clamped shut beside me. Acid landed where I was about to step, not having an impact on the metal. Sudden flames seared my clothes, tickling at my flesh as I ran.

A thunderdrum roared, pushing me back towards the hunters. Desperate, I threw the handle of a spear towards the thunderdrum. It bounced harmlessly off its thick hide.

Rolling to the side, I avoided the blast, only to stop at a large hunter's feet. Exhausted, I staggered up, forcing my aching muscles to cooperate.

I had to keep going. There was no other way.

"You're out of luck," the Dragon Hunter behind me stated. I didn't have to think to realise who it was. Turning, I faced Ryker.

I forced myself to stand, to have some dignity. Looking around, I saw some Dragon Hunters using codewords to get the dragons back into their respective cages. The rest began to crowd around us.

Ryker grabbed his sword, stroking the blade. He paused, an almost thoughtful expression on his face. I hoped he was deciding whether or not to keep me alive instead of what weapon he should use to decapitate me.

"Hypnosis."

"What?"

I looked up at him. "Why kill people when you can have slaves? Free manpower."

Ryker smiled coldly, glaring at me. "There's the Freya I know. Always ready to say something to get herself out."

"I know Swiftst- the powerful changewing personally," I tried, "I would be able to control her easier."

That caught his attention. Lowering his blade, Ryker grabbed a nearby hunter. He whispered something, I couldn't catch it, causing the hunter to pale but nod obediently.

"Alright Freya, you've Earth yourself another five minutes. If your claim is false, however - " his eyes darkened and he looked over m -- "well. You know the rest."

I gulped, searching for anything of use. I was much closer to the captain's quarters, where Ryker's plans would undoubtedly be. I knew I needed to get inside. However, Ryker held my shoulder in a tight grip: I was going nowhere. He would take no chances with me - I would be hypnotized. Even if I wasn't, countless guards and dragons would prevent me from leaving. I was trapped.