Eight

Freya's POV

A childish grin dominated my face as I rode the changewing. While I had only tamed her to get off the island, I now understood why the riders loved flying so much. Feeling the wind blow through my hair as we darted through the sky was exhilarating.

I was very impressed by its intelligence and skill, and it was hard not to like the dangerous dragon. I wasn't certain that bonding over turning invisible would work, but when it did I had to restrain myself from jumping out of pure joy. My brothers wouldn't understand, especially Ryker. Yet here I was, on a beautiful and unique changewing.

Rubbing the crimson scales on her neck, I shifted my weight in attempt to tell her where to go. She was very responsive, especially after I explained why I wanted to go. With her indigo highlights, I knew she wasn't a normal changewing. It could also explain her extreme intelligence.

She needed a name.

Sighing, I tried to come up with ideas. But this was a dragon was the only one I had succeeded in bonding with, having tried a couple times on Dragon Hunter Island, so the name needed to be perfect.

"What do you think hmm? Do you have a preference?" She snorted, diving down. Her wings split the air. Grabbing onto her shoulderblades, I held on for dear life.

"Aaahhhh!" I screamed, the wind snatching my voice. We dived, directly at the sea, as she started spinning.

"No girl! Easy," I tried to soothe. She flinched, spreading her wings wide like a parachute. We slowed, her wingtips slicing through the surface of the sea, before flying sharply upwards. I gritted my teeth, leaning with her movements. We were spinning up and up, untill we broke the clouds.

I gasped as I reached for them. Unsurprisingly, my hand went straight through. Smiling, I stroked her before leaning slightly forwards. She dove, like a falcon, down onto a small island. Before I knew it, we had arrived at Johann's base and my expression grew sour. A deep satisfied rumbled vibrated from the dragon's chest. She nudged my arm with her snout, her yellow eyes practically glowing.

"Give me a minute! My insides have some catching up to do with my outsides," I groaned, doubled over. Bile rose in my mouth but I shoved it down. That was... unexpected. Tilting her head, her inquisitive eyes locked onto mine. "If you wanted me to hurry up with the name you could've asked!" I scolded playfully. She rolled her eyes, something I didn't know dragons could do, before stretching and relaxing. I hopped off.

She needed rest.

"Sooo Shimmer?" I tried. I got a snort back.

"Ookaaaay then. Crimson?" She shook her head.

"Swiftstrike?" This earnt me a slight purr. Grinning, I stroked the back of her horns. Swifstrike curled up instantly, pressing her head into my arm. Her warm scales rubbed me affectionately, and I couldn't help but wrap my arms around her in a massive hug.

I can't imagine why Viggo and Ryker would hurt these creatures. They're unique, smart and caring - better than a lot of humans. I just don't get it. As kids, sure I liked them more than most, but they never seemed to hate them. Did they just not care?

Sighing, I watched the sky. Sunset orange was sneaking up on the brilliant blue the sky had been all day. We needed to find shelter for the night, and food preferably as well. Patting her flank, I walked towards the entrance. To my relief, there were no guards.

A blast of stale air hit me.

Grumbling, I encouraged Swiftstrike to continue for shelter. Picking up her pace, she overtook me and lead me somewhere. She seemed to know where she was going, perhaps she saw somewhere on the way in? Sure enough, we reached a small cave that hadn't been touched by Johann. I didn't want to sleep in his base - especially if it could be Viggo's grave.