Twenty six

Freya's POV

I frowned, thinking it through. While Hiccup's logic made sense, I wasn't sure if his approach would work. He wouldn't find me enough of a threat.

Glancing down, I observed the dragons attacking each other and soliders unconscious on the floor. If this had a shot to work, I had to take it. I took a breath.

"Okay. I'll do it. But I can't intimidate him enough alone."

Hiccup nodded. "I'll send as many people over as possible, but I'm not sure anyone will be able to. We need to focus on protecting Swiftstrike."

He returned to the battle, weilding Inferno.

Throwing my cloak over my head, I vanished. Swiftstrike mimicked my motion. With only a few shots left, she dived down towards the captain's quarters.

I  squinted. I spotted Ryker as he slashed, humming, at several dragons that had been released from the hypnosis. Scowling, I urged Swiftstrike to speed up.

A monstrous nightmare howled as blood fell from the open gash. The thick liquid pooled beneath it. Smirking, Ryker approached the dragon. It thrashed irregularly, suffering the effects of dragon root.

I was close. Swiftstrike slowed as a thunderdrum attacked Ryker. We began to hover. I could hear my heart beat. My vision blurred and I fought back the memories.

I can't. He'll get me. He'll find me. This won't work -

BANG! The thunderdrum fell, disprientated from the head injury. I clenched my fists.

I have to.

Invisible, I slid off of Swiftstrike and towards Ryker. He cracked his knuckles and that was all I could hear. Behind me, Swiftstrike took off towards the exit - if the plan succeeded, the top priority was for her to escape.

Now I just had to win.

Ryker scratched at his chin as the downed dragons whimpered. I crouched beside them, only a small sliver of my face exposed. He bent over, clasped the handle of an axe and lifted it up.

My breathing quickened. I gripped tighter at the spear I'd found. I took a small step forwards.

Ryker grinned, searching the sky for other victims. He watched as the Dragon Riders fought furiously, only to make no progress. I took another slow step forwards.

My eyes were at his knee height. I was close. Maybe a metre away. A small step.

He turned, facing towards me. My eyes widened and I took a sharp breath. I shuffled backwards clumsily, nudging a sword. He paused at the sound.

I froze.

Ryker glanced beside him, brow furrowing as the defeated dragons lay still.

There was a pause where no one moved. I didn't wait for him to figure it out.

I pounced forwards. I stabbed at his leg and he screamed. I vanished.

It clicked.

"I will find you!" Ryker howled, gritting his teeth. He grabbed his axe and spun, the wooden side hitting me.

I fell with a yelp, but scrambled back up.

"I will beat you. I will find you and I will crush you and I will watch you burn," he spat. I pulled the cloak over my face and leapt back, getting close again. I sprung forwards, aiming for his chest, but his armour dislodged the blade.

I gripped the spear tightly and circled him. I stood directly behind him. I took a small step forwards.

He threw a dagger. The cold metal stroked my cheek. I yelped, but didn't back down. I jumped and threw the spear down. He rolled to the side and grabbed a sword.