Twenty five

Hiccup's POV

I handed Freya her cloak and ignited Inferno. Several soldiers turned to me in surprise.

Leaping forwards, I attacked the closest one. The hunter lunged, scowling. He drew back and countered. With each movement the metal armour clinked. I slashed at his sword and cut the blade. I knocked him unconscious.

A small crowd had gathered. Soldiers and dragons were sparring, claws and metal slicing at each other. Dragons fell at the hands of dragon root. Gustav was fighting beside me, his hands gripped tightly around whatever weapon he could find. Between the chaos, I could just about make out silvery lines of changewings.

Someone threw an axe at me and I ducked. I jumped around, finding the assaulter. He narrowed his eyes and approached with a mallet. I lunged but he raised the metal. I took a step back, avoiding a swipe. His movements were slow and strong, like a bear. Gritting my teeth, I spun, swinging Inferno. He rolled to the side. I rushed forwards, but he kicked my stomach and I was thrown back.

A large hand grabbed my shoulder. My eyes widened and I thrashed desperately, stabbing backwards. I missed.

"Aaargh!"

The grip on me weakened and the soldier dropped down.

"Hiccup!" Astrid grabbed her axe from where the hunter's shield lay and pulled me into a hug. I relaxed, a smile forming on my face. A nearby roar cut the moment short.

Astrid darted from beside me with her signature battle cry. She swung her axe as fast as a speed stinger, disarming hunters. Snotlout and Stormfly followed her, attacking the hunters fearlessly.

Black scales appeared beside me with a slight purr. I grinned at Toothless. The whole team had arrived, fighting across the ship. Eyes narrowing in determination, I stared Ryker dead in the eye. I tightened my grip on Inferno, I stepping towards him.

Ryker began to laugh.

One by one the soldiers stopped. I could no longer hear metal clashing or jaws snapping: we had all turned to the cackling madman standing on the throne.

Freya was visible, no longer hiding in her cloak. Her eyes narrowed as Swiftstrike stood beside her.

But my attention was on Ryker.

He wiped a tear from his eye, slowly stopping his laughing. "You really think you can defeat me? Me, with my army of hypnotized dragons just waiting for the command? INTRUDERS!"

There was a horrific roar as the previously docile dragons recognised the signal. Thunderous bangs echoed through the ship. Metal doors were swung open as the hunters reached the cells.

"Chances of survival have reached single digits now," Fishlegs murmured.

"To the sky!" I ordered, leaping onto Toothless. Freya and Swiftstrike vanished and the Dragon Riders mounted their dragons.

Toothless and Skullcrusher fired at the dragon root weapons as everyone rushed back through the tight exit. We hurried after them, reaching the wider corridor.

It was chaos. Dragons were charging at dragons without a second thought in mad scramble. A wall of dragons blocked the exit, firing down on the battle. Dragon Hunters below were shooting at us, only just missing.

"Hiccup!" Dad called, flying over. "We need a plan."

I nodded. "We need to get Swiftstrike out - then Ryker can't rehypnotise anyone. The-"

"Where's the Dragon Eye?" Astrid shouted, tackling a fuming monstrous nightmare.

"Doesn't matter. Ryker needs Swiftstike. We get her away from him."