Fifteen

Hiccup's POV

Freya took a deep breath, looking me in the eye.

"Fanghook is dying."

My jaw dropped to my feet. What?

"Please tell me I misheard you."

Freya shook her head, her eyes lowered.

Another thought hit me like a bus. Should I trust her?

"Sadly not. Let me explain how I know Gustav and that Fanghook is dying." Squinting slightly in suspision, I nodded. Toothless relaxed slightly beside me, his tail wrapped around my legs.

Stretching, Freya stood up.

"Answers."

*

I scratched my head, uncertain. I could understand them meeting in a class, but being best friends? That was a little far. Afterall, this was Gustav we were talking about. Second rate Snotlout.

None of it seemed... real.

And an unknown instinct? That was unlikely - we would've seen it before. If Fanghook was dying, why wouldn't Gustav tell me? I'm sure we could've worked it out. Now I had another problem.

Who do we try to save - Fanghook or Swiftstrike?

Running a hand through my hair, I left the arena. Before I made any decisions, I wanted confirmation on anything Freya had just said. While we had an alliance, I had to take everything she said with a pinch of salt.

Walking towards Gustav's hut, I tried to reason with myself. If Freya had been telling the truth, then it needed to be acted on immediately. While Fanghook recovered, the A-team would need a new leader temporarily, in case there was an attack. Then Gustav could step back in-

If Fanghook recovered.

Knocking on the wooden door, I tried to keep out the negativity. There was some thundering, snapping my attention, before the door opened slightly.

Mrs Larson was not a popular woman. Easily six foot, she towered over me, a tight scowl plastered on her face. When her eyes landed on mine, she switched to a whole new demeanor.

"Hiccup, darling, why don't you come inside?" she suggested, her voice so oversweetened I felt vile rise in the bck of my mouth. Mrs Larson was one of those people who only cared about status.

"Sorry, 'mam, but I wanted to ask if Gustav was in?"

Her eyes narrowed slightly. "No."

"Do you know where h-"

"Why would I?" she snapped, forgetting to put on the fake politeness.

Taken aback, I said nothing. She turned, showing me her back and broad shoulders. Almost mechanically, she walked into the house and grabbed the edge of the door. Suddenly, she spun around, as if remembering that I was here.

"Is that all?" she sung.

"Yes 'mam. Thank you for your-"

With a 'slam' the door shut in my face.

"Time," I finished, rolling my eyes at the irony.

Sighing, I turned away. Toothless glared at me slightly, glancing at the door then back at me. He snorted.